Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Thanks for posting some info Tony.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbil View Post
I know this question was asked a bazillion times before, so please excuse the repetition as I know that some are very sensitive to that. However, I reviewed the new license FAQ and still do not see any information about what version of Pro Tools a perpetual license will unlock once a support plan lapses.

Is the "perpetual license" based on the last version of Pro Tools you were licensed before joining the support plan or does the "perpetual license" include all upgrades and updates up to the lapsing of a support plan for that particular license?

This is one of those "buyer beware" questions for me so it would be helpful if this were cleared up soon. Thanks.
Your first paragraph is a little confusing, mostly the last sentence (the word 'unlock' is confusing me). Your install of PT would be stuck at whatever was the last feature version you downloaded before your ASS lapses. It would make no sense to do otherwise.

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hi JC. Owners of PT/PTHD 11 do not automatically get upcoming feature upgrades. However, as upgrades are released thought 2015, you can purchase the $199/$599 upgrade/support plan to upgrade to that release, plus you'll get 12 months of future upgrades/support.
Since I have the HD10/11 bundle, and pay the support fee, will I always retain my copy of 10 forever, or will I be required to give that up at some point down the road?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Since I have the HD10/11 bundle, and pay the support fee, will I always retain my copy of 10 forever, or will I be required to give that up at some point down the road?
And not just PT HD but PT vanilla 10/11 bundles as well?

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbil View Post
I reviewed the new license FAQ and still do not see any information about what version of Pro Tools a perpetual license will unlock once a support plan lapses.

Is the "perpetual license" based on the last version of Pro Tools you were licensed before joining the support plan or does the "perpetual license" include all upgrades and updates up to the lapsing of a support plan for that particular license?
Hi seanbil. If the upgrade/support plan for your perpetual license expires, you retain the most recent version you received as part of your upgrade plan. Your authorizations do not revert to the version you were using at the beginning of the plan—you keep the latest version.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
There are no announcements related to price changes to perpetual Pro Tools | Software licenses or to the availability of perpetual Pro Tools | HD Software licenses sold separate from HD hardware.

As explained in the FAQ, HD software customers (as well as PT software customers) have a window through the end of 2015 to get on an upgrade/support plan. Long before that window closes we will release flexible licensing options for HD users that decide to not get on a plan. More information to come on this topic.
In other words you're talking subscription when you say 'flexible licensing' right? This would be for both HD and non-HD right?

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And not just PT HD but PT vanilla 10/11 bundles as well?

If you own a perpetual license to PT or PTHD, you can retain that license in perpetuity. However, bear in mind that you may be required to relinquish those licenses as part of a future upgrade, much like we do today—with an upgrade you get an auth to the new version, and retain an auth for the prior version.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
As explained in the FAQ, HD software customers (as well as PT software customers) have a window through the end of 2015 to get on an upgrade/support plan. Long before that window closes we will release flexible licensing options for HD users that decide to not get on a plan. More information to come on this topic.
I appreciate you coming in here and making it clear that AVID is not ready to commit to what ALL the new HD license details will be under the new plan.

I am sure you also appreciate that all HD users are invested at least $5K in their systems (most far more and in many cases over 10 or more years) and are keenly interested in how these changes will effect them. It is unsettling being told things will change and not having the specifics of what all the changes are.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 11-03-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
In other words you're talking subscription when you say 'flexible licensing' right? This would be for both HD and non-HD right?
We'll release more information on this topic soon. Sorry I can't be more specific right now.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I appreciate you coming in here and making it clear that AVID is not ready to commit to what the new HD license details will be under the new plan.

I am sure you also appreciate that all HD users are invested at least $5K in their systems (most far more and in many cases over decade +) and are keenly interested in how these changes will effect them.
Of course. And our apologies for the confusion. We're working diligently to clarify further in the future.
Closed Thread