Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 AM

Default PT9 - no more immediate CPU issues?

Okay,
you will all probably either yawn or want to shoot me, but I couldn't help noticing that one of the biggest reoccurring issues/problems that once plagued this site has all but disappeared. IE the cpu overload messages from previous versions of Pro Tools.
I enjoyed working in PT8 LE but did get the dreaded message on my Macbook once too often to really be able to get large projects going. Are there any noticeable changes with how PT9 handles this? This area seems very silent on here (and has seemingly been replaced with 'compatible interface' questions!).
Just wanted to know as I'm tempted by the upgrade.
I follow all of the Avid guidelines for a healthy Pro Tools, but still don't get anywhere near the same results in terms of track count that I can from Digital Performer. I'd love to be proven wrong, so please fire away.
If a few of you perhaps using a similar Macbook Pro spec can give me some feedback that would be great.
Thanks in advance!

Macbook Pro 15" 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM
OS 10.6.5
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R
Pro Tools 8.0.4 M-Powered/ PT LE 8.0.4 Mbox Micro
Expansion Pack
Kontakt 4
EW PLAY
DP7
Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 AM

Default Re: PT9 - no more immediate CPU issues?

That can't be answered as its computer|plug in|hardware etc. specific...

So som1 can tell u "yes" its fine, but thatz their setup which has nuthin to do with urs even if u have the same computer... Doesn't matter much on that end tho so the only way to really "kno" is to get it

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Hi Keybeeetsss,
yes I of course realize what you are saying, but I think my main point is really that the HUGE cpu overload issue that was always so prevalent, seems to be gone from the forums with Pro Tools 9. I just wondered if perhaps something had been changed in terms of how Pt handles cpu (if that makes sense!).
thanks.

OS 10.6.5
Expansion Pack
Kontakt 4
EW PLAY
DP7
Old 11-20-2010, 12:21 PM

One thing I've noticed that may be relevant is that while bouncing an intense session, there will be occasional slow-downs or glitches in the audio which don't show up in the actual bounce. I suspect that instead of stopping at every little hiccup, Pro Tools now just powers through with the bounce/playback and fixes it later.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 PM

In my case they went away the moment I installed PT 9, unplugged the 002r from my computer and started using my Metric Halo 2882 with PT. Haven't had a single DAE error since. The difference in how well PT runs here has been night and day since Pt 9.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Crouton View Post
One thing I've noticed that may be relevant is that while bouncing an intense session, there will be occasional slow-downs or glitches in the audio which don't show up in the actual bounce. I suspect that instead of stopping at every little hiccup, Pro Tools now just powers through with the bounce/playback and fixes it later.
I'm willing to bet you have "Ignore Errors During Playback/Record" checked.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 PM

I had it on for a while in various versions of 8 as well, but it never was as effective as it is now. I still got cpu errors all the time in certain sessions that work just fine now.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
In my case they went away the moment I installed PT 9, unplugged the 002r from my computer and started using my Metric Halo 2882 with PT. Haven't had a single DAE error since. The difference in how well PT runs here has been night and day since Pt 9.
+1
Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Hi,
thank you guys - to quote Dism "Pro Tools now just powers through with the bounce/playback and fixes it later" This is what I was getting at (sounds like great news)......not that I want to compare and then try to condemn anything, I am just really curious before upgrading. Please any more reports of noticeable change in this area would be helpful.
Thanks again!

OS 10.6.5
Expansion Pack
Kontakt 4
EW PLAY
DP7