Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Default ADAT Outputs to AV Receiver......Possible?

Hi all,

I'm trying to cobble together a 5.1 playback system just so I can literally rough cut at home.

Using the Mix 51 plugin it states that 6 mono aux tracks are created to monitor the surround mix.

Is it in theory possible then to send ADAT Outs 1-6 to an AV Receiver. I'm assuming the receiver will see the audio as 6 discrete PCM audio tracks so no decoding required.

Is this feasible, has anybody tried it? I'm trying to avoid matrixing down to Lt Rt and decoding with Pro Logic II.

As with anything digital I guess clocking could be an issue?

Any thoughts
Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Re: ADAT Outputs to AV Receiver......Possible?

If you're talking a home receiver they all (to the best of my knowledge) are using BITSTREAM over a Coax connector, providing for the 5.1 signal. Receivers DO have optical, but they are optical S/Pdif and NOT ADAT Optical. The difference is 2-channels v/s 8-channels. It will come down to the receiver, but even then do you want to use a home receiver to mix on---or is this just for playback?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:09 PM

Brad is correct, ADAT is a professional (not really though) spec. Home receivers all use a coded signal, like ac3 or a matrix 2 channel like LtRt.

Neyrinck has video's on his site about this processes. Basically you matrix the output in real time and send that tot he receiver to decode for monitoring. I know the LtRt plug works with CPTK, not sure on vanilla LE.

Check out his site for more info.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

This is just so I can edit and play back at home, not mix. I thought it was a long shot but as stated the Lt Rt method decoded via Pro Logic ii will do the job.

It's a one off Uni Degree project so trying to avoid spending cash on kit.

Mix 51 works fine in LE and includes Lt Rt to allow you to monitor on an Mbox 2 with less than 6 outs.

Cheers