Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Default PT 12.4 suddenly can't make thumbnails for the video track

I'm setting up for an ADR session and I've loaded in the video and audio tracks. I began working with it and when I tried to go to the end of the 46 min. video I ran out of viewable video. When I tried to play it near the end I get an error that says "The video engine is unable to make thumbnails for the video track." my record lights start flashing green, which is their PLAY color but nothing will play. I tried restarting but I just get a few thumbnails like before and anywhere but near the beginning I have no picture and it won't play audio or anything. I turned the video track to blocks but it still won't play. I have a 2012 Mac Pro 6-core running 10.10.2 with 32 gigs of ram and PT HD 12.4. I have never experienced this before in PT 11.3. Any ideas why my Mac can't handle this?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Default Re: PT 12.4 suddenly can't make thumbnails for the video track

I've seen this too.

Would be nice to have a work around for this.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:20 PM

bump. Anyone know the solution for this or is it fixed in 12.5? Just happened randomly it seems but so annoying and sometimes happens a lot and requires a restart.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGarman View Post
I'm setting up for an ADR session and I've loaded in the video and audio tracks. I began working with it and when I tried to go to the end of the 46 min. video I ran out of viewable video. When I tried to play it near the end I get an error that says "The video engine is unable to make thumbnails for the video track." my record lights start flashing green, which is their PLAY color but nothing will play. I tried restarting but I just get a few thumbnails like before and anywhere but near the beginning I have no picture and it won't play audio or anything. I turned the video track to blocks but it still won't play. I have a 2012 Mac Pro 6-core running 10.10.2 with 32 gigs of ram and PT HD 12.4. I have never experienced this before in PT 11.3. Any ideas why my Mac can't handle this?
It might be helpful to know if you just recently upgraded to 12.4 or made any other changes to your system. How long ago since you did this in 11.3?
Old 06-11-2016, 01:26 PM

I've been using it for a while. I could be wrong but it may happen more frequently if the session is more maxed out with plug-ins... Also, for some weird reason it may happen more when Facebook is open in my browser??? Maybe Facebook takes up more system resources. For a while I would get HW buffer errors only when switching to Facebook (i.e., when bouncing down a recording (real time) I would switch to check Facebook and the error would consistently come immediately upon switching but not to other websites).
Old 06-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Never use show thumbnails in the video track.

It just takes up memory, and processing power. Use show video track in blocks instead. That takes away all the thumbnails, and removes possibility for that error. Whenever you zoom in, or out, PT has to generate new thumbnails every time, which is not necessary unless you're editing video.