How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2015, 05:31 PM

Default AFL/PFL not working since updated to PT12

Hi,

I double checked the I/O Setup - but I cannot get it to work.

Maybe my D-Command is set into BroadcastMode ? I can't even find the switch for it anymore. It is supposed to be in the Softkey / Operation Switch Pages somewhere - but it isn't there anymore

Any input or help would be very welcome

Edit: I just verified that AFL works by monitoring Output3-4 of my HD i/o ... but it is no longer changing my ControlRoom Input source, so I would say that the D-Command is in broadcast mode ! But where can I find the settings switch to turn Broadcast mode back off ???
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8

Last edited by Hanswurstlsepp; 10-09-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:46 AM

Default Re: AFL/PFL not working since updated to PT12

AFL/PFL changed with PT12 (thank goodness!!) back to the way it used to be years ago.

There's no need for separate outputs any longer and therefore no switching on the X-Mon.

Just set the AFL/PFL out to be the same as your main out, and the software will handle the switching.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
AFL/PFL changed with PT12 (thank goodness!!) back to the way it used to be years ago.

There's no need for separate outputs any longer and therefore no switching on the X-Mon.

Just set the AFL/PFL out to be the same as your main out, and the software will handle the switching.
Hi Drew,

thank you so much for the info.
This makes absolutely sense. It just wasn't clear to me by reading the "What's new in PT12".

Thx very much again :)))
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 10-10-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi Drew,

thank you so much for the info.
This makes absolutely sense. It just wasn't clear to me by reading the "What's new in PT12".

Thx very much again :)))
Maybe Avid should pay me to write the docs!

It's so much better this new way!!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Hi,

I'm still having problems with AFL/PFL and D-Command:

If I set AFL/PFL to the same out as my Master out, then I can no longer audition AFL/PFL while recording an artist without destroying the headphone mix which is set to Cue1 (C1).

In the "what's new in PT12" readme is written:
-----------------------------
AFL/PFL Path Improvements
Pro Tools 12 provides a combined AFL/PFL Path setting that can use any available Output path, regardless of channel width. For mismatched channel widths, the AFL/PFL path is automatically downmixed or upmixed to the selected Output path.
Note that if you assign the AFL/PFL Path to a physical output that is being used for monitoring, that signal is muted when soloed and the solo path is used for monitoring instead. However, if the AFL/PFL Path is assigned to a different output, the main output continues to pass signal even when the AFL/PFL path is soloed. This lets you use XMON “Broadcast Mode” without XMON (ICON) hard- ware.

And this is what I get now - the XMON is set to BroadcastMode and I cannot change it back as there is no option to change that in d-command anymore.

In the d-command manual is written:
AFL and PFL modes send signal to a separate output path with independently adjustable levels for each mode. The XMON Control Room Input source is automatically changed to monitor the AFL/PFL input, unless you put D-Command in Broadcast mode (see “Broadcast Mode for AFL and PFL Monitoring” on page 99). This lets you monitor the soloed channels in the Main control room monitors (with Broadcast mode off ) or in a dedicated solo monitoring system (with Broadcast mode on).
and
Operation Switch (Page 2):

Brdcst (Broadcast) Determines whether the XMON monitoring system is in Broadcast mode, which prevents AFL and PFL solo modes from changing the XMON Control Room Input source.

This setting is no longer available.

Summary:
I can hear AFL/PFL if I use my MasterOut for MonitorPath and AFL/PFL Path.
But then also my cue out is influenced and I don't want as I like to listen AFL to a solo'ed track in my ControlRoom while a singer is singing in recording room to a playback.

The AFL/PFL and SIP features were working perfectly fine with the d-command before PT12 - never had a single problem !

I hope that I'm still doing something wrong and it's not a new "feature-bug".

Any help much appreciated !
Old 10-19-2015, 01:21 PM

I attached an old photo from the d-commands Operation/SOFT KEYS section which shows the missing setting.

Also I found in PT manual Page 229 the follwing info:

Using AFL/PFL on Pro Tools Systems with a D-Control or D-Command
AFL/PFL is optimized for Pro Tools systems using a D-Control or D-Command control surface, where the XMON automatically switches its monitor source between the main output and the AFL/PFL output from Pro Tools.
For more information on using XMON and AFL/PFL, see your control surface guide.

I would say that this is simply broken....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 22.17.57.jpg (15.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Hanswurstlsepp; 10-19-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add. info
Old 10-20-2015, 10:11 AM

Hi,

is there really no one using a D-Command or D-Control with PT12 who uses AFL/PFL listening during recording sessions ?
Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 AM

D control and Protools 10HD still. I use a custom monitor section. I didn't trust the xmon audio path. But I am looking into it for the cue feeds now. I realised after reading this thread I can use xmon just for cues. And therfore have afl/pfl. Since I'm on 10HD I won't have your issues and still get my preferred custom monitor controller and still use xmon for cue feeds.

I know this doesn't help you but it did help me.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi,

is there really no one using a D-Command or D-Control with PT12 who uses AFL/PFL listening during recording sessions ?
I do and it's working perfectly.

Where do you set Broadcast mode?

Old 10-20-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I do and it's working perfectly.

Where do you set Broadcast mode?
There was a a CONSOLE PREFS soft key in pre PT12 version where you could choose regular afl/pfl or broadcast mode. This setting is gone.
Here is a picture

So you are saying, that you can monitor thru the Main Out in your control room, press solo in AFL/PFL mode and it works as expected in you control room (MainOut is muted and instead you listen to a solo'ed channel) and the Cue 1 output (which normally goes to your recording room) is NOT influenced ?

I already made a customer case.