Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 PM

Default ADI-2 or PSX-100

First, I'll apologize for the converter question..but these things happen.

Would you buy the newer RME ADI-2 or spend a few hundred more and go for a used PSX-100. Im kinda stuck on this at the moment, any help would be appreciated. There may be a Mini-Me option for me as well, but of course there's no DA there.

Thank you.

BTW -Thats the budget. Please no Mytek, Benchmark, Rosetta 200 suggestions.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: ADI-2 or PSX-100

I'd go with the Apogee, very reputable and rock solid timing. I haven't used the ADI-2, but I owned a RME 8 channel A/D/A for a while (ADI-8 Pro) and it had bad clocking issues, I don't know that I'd trust using them again for converters. Just my personal experience, YMMV.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:28 AM

Thanks Slim,

Thats helpful.
If I were to go that way, I think Id lean more towards the PSX rather than the Mini for the DA option. Not too sure though.

Anyone else with experience/opinions?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:51 AM

im happy with my ADI-2
no clocking problems - i know its not an appogge but it fdoes the job - RME are known as well for their convertors
neumann tlm103
Tlaudio 5051 v.2
genelec 1030
yamaha p-90
Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 AM

I use an Apogee PSX-100SE and it's AWESOME! I couldn't believe my ears the first day I hooked it up to my monitors from my 002. It was literally as if someone had a blanket over my monitors and took them off. Your gonna FrEaK when you switch from the 001's DA to that Apogee. I got a KILLER deal on it and just found out from my Apogeee guy that they're bringing out fire wire cards for them Q1/Q2 this year. I'll NEVER sell it. When I got it I was strapped for money, but knew it was gonna be the heartbeat of my lil' studio. I'm glad I got it!

I don't know how much difference in sound the PSX100 is to the PSX100SE, but if your hiring yourself out. When guys see Apogee on your gearlist ...it helps!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 AM

Gorilla,
firewire cards for the PSX's seems strange since it was officially discontinued the first of last year and replaced by the Rosetta200.
I wonder if that's really happening?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks a lot, everyone.

That does it. Im holding out for the PSX. Ill try to find the SE. All my research has led to it being an outstanding upgrade to the original PSX. Otherwise, Apogee has the upgrade listed on their site at about $1000. ouch. At that rate a Rosetta 200 would be in order. hmmm.

Although Ive heard good things about the ADI-2(thanks ariel), Im gonna sell out and go for the name. shameless.

Yea Gorilla...although your comment about the future firewire option is tempting/interesting, it is a now a legacy product. hmm. Would be great though. Ill keep an eye out.

Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM

A Rosetta 200 is still hard to beat at $1579 all things considered.
PSX's at $800-1100 are pretty typical (se's run a little higher).
The PSX-100 sounds good
Ths PSX-100se sounds great
The Rosetta 200 sounds even better.
Either should improve your 001 several times over.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Gorilla,
firewire cards for the PSX's seems strange since it was officially discontinued the first of last year and replaced by the Rosetta200.
I wonder if that's really happening?
I called Apogee my self. Reason being, I like my 002. But the PTLE software limitations are killing me. And Digi has it, so the 002 doesn't run great with anything, but Digi. So I'm selling the 002 and downgrading my Pro Tools experience to their next entry level unit, and grabbing a full featured D.A.W. And the PSX-100SE ran thru the s/pdif of the 002. I asked the tech guys there will they ever release a fire wire card for the PSX models. He said they're already in developement. I told him if not, I'm gonna sell the PSX...he immediately said ..."don't sell it! We'll have the fire wire cards.....shooting for a Q2 release date. Probably around $500."
I said, for the PSX-100SE's? He said yes.
I'll still be deciding whether to get the firewire card for my PSX unit or spend the extra $250 more and grab a Motu 828mkII. Decisions
Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Gorilla,
if possible spend some time with the MOTU stuff before you buy it.
It's been my experience that even with EXT converters they don't sound that good compared to most average level gear.