How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 03:12 PM

Default Meter change window - snap to bar missing

Hi all.

For some reason in the new Pro Tools 2021 when trying to add a meter change, a new box appears, and I am unable to start a 4|4 without snapping to the grid.

I attached a screenshot and I'm looking for this particular box, but can't find it. The goal is to make sure that i can assign the "1" or downbeat to any count on the grid in Pro Tools.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 2.53.30 PM.jpg (21.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Meter change window - snap to bar missing

Looks like you have Time set as your main counter(Minutes:Seconds). Change that to Bars:Beats and see if that helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-26-2021, 05:24 PM

Thank you.

This image is actually from an older session. I can't find this particular box anymore that allows me to add a meter change.

I just now uploaded a second image. This is what I'm actually seeing when I click Time Operations in the Edit window but it's not allowing me to assign the "1" anywhere on the grid in Pro Tools because I can't type in the exact number of the Beats & Bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 5.19.04 PM.jpg (48.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:39 PM

Set your rulers to display both Tempo and Meter, along with your other desired elements. (as shown here)
Command + i to identify a beat as a specific Bar #. (eg the start of the song as Bar 1)
Click on the "+" button in the meter timeline to change meter for any specific bar at which you are located.
(eg. Set Bar 29 to 2/4, and then set it back to 4/4 at Bar 30.)

or change a pre-selected area as in your screenshot from Bar 4121 for a total of 13 selected bars.
that's one long song . . . are you working on a prog rock opus perchance ?

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-26-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:46 AM

Thank you so much. I tried all of this and it doesn't work. Unfortunately.
I can't drop 4/4 exactly where i want it to be because Command + i because that or hitting the "+" button in the meter timeline doesn't give me the option to not "Snap To Bar." There used to be a Snap To Bar that i can uncheck so that i can drop a meter change anywhere in the session. That's now gone.

I can't type in the exact location or the meter exactly where i want it to change.

I'm working on a show that has about 20 songs.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:03 AM

without seeing your exact workflow it's kinda hard to imagine what's happening - especially before the point you're trying to change . . . maybe you could post a full screenshot of the Edit Window, showing your Meter settings in relation to the audio before that point in time.

but what about this ?
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=335914

or this:
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396992

is that what you're looking to accomplish ?
I would have thought the need to do this indicates that the prior section's bar/tempo/meter has not been identified properly.
or do you perhaps have another Meter event after this which makes what you're trying to do musically/mathematically impossible ?
if so try deleting the subsequent Meter events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txm View Post
I'm working on a show that has about 20 songs.
wow. all locked to picture in one session ? ... everyone I know creates one session per cue for long TV shows
or do mean a live show/concert ?, with multiple songs all needing click tracks/Bars+Beats+Meters etc ?
in that case, wouldn't you just love "multiple Bar 1's" ?
anyway, this is all just guesswork without knowing the full gameplan.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-27-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:14 PM

but what about this ?
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=335914

Yes it is the first one. Before the new Pro Tools Update whenever I hit the "+" on the meter on the left the box that i've uploaded used to pop up. Now, the Time operations window pops up.

Uploaded a new attachment just now and I want to drop a 4/4 on the song "ME OR YOU." As you can see, that song is not on the 1, but in the past i could force that song that's located on 11266|4|000 to start on 4/4, even if it (meters) weren't mathematically correct later on the timeline.

Hopefully this makes sense.

I've uploaded a larger screenshot view of the session.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 3.08.55 PM.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2021, 04:13 PM

but it looks like it's already at 4/4 according to the Bar before shown in your screenshot.
how would adding yet another one help in any way with what you're trying to achieve ?
But, it looks like the previous meter definition might be screwed up further down the line since it appears to be in italics (hard to tell in the low-definition screenshot).
are you trying to create count-in sections for each song in the setlist ?

and a meter change on anything other than a Bar downbeat makes no musical sense to me. You're supposed to be defining at the start of a Bar exactly how many beats are in it, not the other way round. Just because a song intro might come in on Beat 4 of Bar 1 does not mean you have to define that beat 4 with a meter marker. You would define the beginning of that count-in bar as a 4/4 bar.
Link: Time Signatures

If you're needing to apply how many clicks-free the band wants for each song, rendering/committing click tracks and copying backwards by a precise edit-selection can help sort that out. (eg. tab-to-transient 4 clicks, separate & select region, ctrl+opt+command+hand tool click to copy backwards)

What I might do in such a situation is create an audio track in samples, and render some blank audio the entire length of your session, and call it "Tempo Meter Map" or something, and make your cuts in there that are locked in time. Label each region with a description of the song title, tempo, meter, etc. Use those regions to define Tempo/Bars/Meter changes.
Define a start and end Bar # of each song if you must have a visual bar count. (ignore the wacky in-between-song tempos)
Start song one (including count) at say Bar 101, song two at Bar 201, etc etc (depending on the tempo/length of the songs in the set)
Create marker or selection Memory Locations for each song.

Or import pre-rendered click tracks for each precise song tempo, and position and label them accordingly.

again, this is all just sheer guesswork as I'm still not totally clear what this is supposed to accomplish - so I don't know if any of this is helping or just confusing things further for you.

maybe someone else can chime in here if they understand better than me.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-28-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:54 AM

Following this thread since I am having this problem as well. The window has changed.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:09 PM

Have experienced the same issue, the only fix I've found is choosing 'to session end' on the Time Operations window on the 'Starting at bar' section, and clicking Apply. The next time I click to make a meter change, the standard smaller window pops up with the 'snap to bar' option.