Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-10-2021, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to use a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos home theater as a Pro Tools Dolby Atmos

One thing to keep in mind is with this configuration using MTRX Studio, you will need to have a computer running DADMan constantly in order to be able to switch from normal TV watching mode to Mixing mode. The MTRX studio does not work as a standalone switcher for what you’re trying to do.

It’s also not controllable via an IR or RF A/V remote control.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to use a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos home theater as a Pro Tools Dolby Atmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
One thing to keep in mind is with this configuration using MTRX Studio, you will need to have a computer running DADMan constantly in order to be able to switch from normal TV watching mode to Mixing mode. The MTRX studio does not work as a standalone switcher for what you’re trying to do.

Quote:

Does this mean if I have the rack with the mtrx in a different room I’d just have to physically select the A input but then in the theater they could use the Harmony Elite or iPad apps as a remote like they normally would? Essentially just tapping a button in the other room to put the theater into “theater mode”?

Sorry for repeating myself over and over. Trying to also figure out how to sell this whole switch up and set up to the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 09-10-2021, 07:36 AM

Correct.

You would have to physical select an A, B, or C configuration from the front of the MTRX Studio which you would configure in DADMan.

One you select the “theatre” mode everything in the home theatre would work as it does now. The MTRX and DADMan are just working as a pass through router for the Marantz unit.

Are you planning on running 24 XLR cables from your studio to the home theatre?

Marantz XLR out ——> MTRX DB25 ——-> Amp in

That’s what you’re gonna have to do unless you want to convert it all to Dante

An easier way is to get a db25 switch like this (you’d need 2)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1352

Put that in the theatre equipment rack and switch between Marantz output and MTRX output into the Amp.

You might find a switch somewhere that can be IR or RS232 controlled.

Last edited by its2loud; 09-10-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Correct.

You would have to physical select an A, B, or C configuration from the front of the MTRX Studio which you would configure in DADMan.

One you select the “theatre” mode everything in the home theatre would work as it does now. The MTRX and DADMan are just working as a pass through router for the Marantz unit.

Are you planning on running 24 XLR cables from your studio to the home theatre?

Marantz XLR out ——> MTRX DB25 ——-> Amp in

That’s what you’re gonna have to do unless you want to convert it all to Dante

An easier way is to get a db25 switch like this (you’d need 2)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1352

Put that in the theatre equipment rack and switch between Marantz output and MTRX output into the Amp.

You might find a switch somewhere that can be IR or RS232 controlled.

Awesome! One more question now. What would be your thoughts be on going with the Focusrite Red 16line: https://pro.focusrite.com/category/a...tem/red-16line (and also their R1 controller: https://pro.focusrite.com/category/a...item/rednet-r1) over the Mtrx Studio (and the dadmom controller? Can they both do the same thing and is the only difference really the SPQ in the mtrx?

Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 09-11-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuret View Post
Awesome! One more question now. What would be your thoughts be on going with the Focusrite Red 16line: https://pro.focusrite.com/category/a...tem/red-16line (and also their R1 controller: https://pro.focusrite.com/category/a...item/rednet-r1) over the Mtrx Studio (and the dadmom controller? Can they both do the same thing and is the only difference really the SPQ in the mtrx?

The MTRX Studio includes full routing matrix, twice the Dante I/O and two preamps that are controllable from within Pro Tools. On top of that, DADman also supports eucon control. You can get the Dadmom for it, but you can also get full control of the monitor section through the free Avid control app or any of the S-series control surfaces. I've never tried it with the Artist series stuff, so couldn't tell you if it works with it or not.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:23 PM

The SPQ card in the MTRX Studio is really kind of a big deal. It’s the one thing the Red Line 16 is missing in my opinion.

It’s hard to say which one will suit you better. Both of those are solid interfaces with the added Bennet of Eucon control with the MTRX. You mentioned having surface controllers in another thread so having the MTRX will definitely add some benefits there.

If you’re considering either of these it might benefit you to consider how easily you’re going to be able to setup either one of these interfaces in you home theater for Atmos while also being able to use your current studio space.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
The SPQ card in the MTRX Studio is really kind of a big deal. It’s the one thing the Red Line 16 is missing in my opinion.

It’s hard to say which one will suit you better. Both of those are solid interfaces with the added Bennet of Eucon control with the MTRX. You mentioned having surface controllers in another thread so having the MTRX will definitely add some benefits there.

If you’re considering either of these it might benefit you to consider how easily you’re going to be able to setup either one of these interfaces in you home theater for Atmos while also being able to use your current studio space.

Awesomeness. I think the Mtrx is the way to go. Thank you!

Old 09-12-2021, 08:51 AM

Not sure of your budget for this project but you might consider this in the chain.

https://tascam.com/us/product/ml-16d/top

You can send the “monitor” outputs from DADMan out Dante and use this in your theater equipment rack into your 7.1.4 amp.

All you’ll need is a single CAT 6 network run to your “Studio” and a gigabit switch for the Dante network.

Lots of options for you. Good luck
Old 09-12-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Not sure of your budget for this project but you might consider this in the chain.

You can send the “monitor” outputs from DADMan out Dante and use this in your theater equipment rack into your 7.1.4 amp.

All you’ll need is a single CAT 6 network run to your “Studio” and a gigabit switch for the Dante network.

I thought I was starting to understand this but nope, I'm still a moron. I watched this video and got even more confused: https://youtu.be/NzLcQ861T_E

Is there a way to flowchart this all with each piece of gear, cables and flow direction of sorts?

I'm trying to accomplish a way to not only have the 7.2.4 (.1 LFE but two actual subs) theater stay and behave as it does now but also be able to easily bring in the laptop and plug up a couple things to use the room as an Atmos mix room. This will first be used primarily by me on a personal project/new album but will also have a couple other artists and producers and engineers in occasionally to listen and do a little work. So I'm willing to spend a bit more to get what I need to accomplish this setup, but as I'm mostly doing it all on my own I need to fully understand this all.

So yea, I can get that box if it makes sense but would you be so kind as to help me map this all out so I don't **** it all up?

I was thinking about having the theater rack and the studio rack be one and in-between the rooms but that may not be possible, so may have to run more wires and what not.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Learned more about Dante. It's pretty simple. I anticipated it being some new insanely complex /thing/. I'm about ready to continue trying to map out all the gear, how they connect and their signal paths/flow. Looking at the tescam I'm still not clear on how it would benefit the set up because I think I just need to see everything on a page to understand how they connect?