Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 AM

Location: in your kitchen eating your food while you sleep!...currently ; )
Unhappy 003r + turntable + broken s/pdif = need your help brothers...pleeeeeeeease.....

I just have 2 questions I realllllllllllly need answers too....

( TURNTABLE TO MY 003r AUDIO INTERFACE )

1)))))) im trying to connect my Numark ttxusb turntable (it has rca outs as well, so im not using the usb connection at all) to my 003 rack interface through s/pdif connection....Can this be done? Because I tried it just now and im getting no signal through pro-tools le 7.3....

---------I have the L-R inputs set to s/pdif stereo...and the output set to Analog 1-2 stereo----------

I would try and just connect the turntable directly into one of the 8 mic/instrument inputs I have, but im having trouble finding the right cable for that now. I believe it would be a dual stereo RCA to a stereo 1/4 cable.................BUT SHHT......i can't even find that cable anywhere on the net.......can someone please help me? I'm just trying to record some old old vinyl records into the pro-tools software.

2)))))) I did; HOWEVER, come across a stereo RCA to 1/8" cable, and I had a 1/8" TO1?4" adapter I use for the headphone jack laying around.

I just tried hooking that up and I DO get signal through a STEREO audio channel.....but its not a stereo signal???? I'm only getting single LEFTchannel audio from my 12" record that is playing, and the RIGHT channel has no signal at all coming from it.

I tried opening a MONO audio channel, but the same shht happens...im just getting audio in the left channel.

Would REALLLLLLLLLLLLY appreciate anyone who can give me some advice on this since im trobleshooting so many other things on my own right now.............please help if you can fellas....thanks....
Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 AM

Please put down the cables and back away slowly! LOL Now let's break it down. The turntable has 2 RCA outputs that are analog(RIAA equalized). The RCA SPDIF input on the 003 is a digital input and is absolutely not compatible with analog(even though they use the same connector). The simple, quick and dirty solutions are RCA(f) to quarter inch(m) adapters so the turntable plugs into 2 channels of the 003(this works but....) the best solution is to get(beg, borrow, rent, buy) something with RIAA phono inputs. This means a turntable preamp(so the LP's will sound correct without you having to re-EQ everything. Any DJ mixer with turntable inputs would have this. Run the turntable into the phono inputs and run the outputs of the DJ mixer into a pair of 003 line inputs. If you have lots of LP's to transfer, maybe buy a cheap DJ mixer off the bay and then ell it after you finish your project.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 AM

Or if you also need a monitoring station solution for the home studio, buy a Mackie Big Knob as it has phono inputs built in. Hook up your turntable's RCA outs to the L-R phono ins on the Big Knob, then, as albee said, run ¼ inch TRS cables from the L-R outs of the Big Knob to 2 analogue ins on the 003. Set up a stereo audio track and assign the inputs to those same analogue inputs, record arm the track, press F12, start the turntable, drop the needle and record away.

You may also want to consider an audio restoration program like SoundSoap if you want to clean up the newly recorded tracks.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 AM

You have to connect you Numark, direct in to Alt Source on your 003R, on the front of the 0003R, you find the ALT SRC in 7/8, button, So when you want to record your Vinyl Records, Create a AUX Channel, On this AUX Channel Select 7-8 Input and put a Limiter Plug in, and then create your Stereo Channel where you gonna make your take of the Vinyl, I do this Constantly because I'm Dj, I get a lot of Vinyls and I do this all the time. I use a Denon Turntable.!:cool:
Old 07-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonsdeejay View Post
You have to connect you Numark, direct in to Alt Source on your 003R, on the front of the 0003R, you find the ALT SRC in 7/8, button, So when you want to record your Vinyl Records, Create a AUX Channel, On this AUX Channel Select 7-8 Input and put a Limiter Plug in, and then create your Stereo Channel where you gonna make your take of the Vinyl, I do this Constantly because I'm Dj, I get a lot of Vinyls and I do this all the time. I use a Denon Turntable.!:cool:

While this may produce sound, it is not the correct way to do it. The pre-amp impedance does not match. Listen to Albee's advice...
The MBox 2 Pro has a phono input and its too bad it didn't get carried over to the 003, it's a very cool feature!

One more way to do it is to find an old-school stereo amp w/ phono inputs and use the line outs to your Digi interface.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:09 PM

This Numark TTUSB doesn't have ground, so you can connect direct in to DIGI003R.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonsdeejay View Post
This Numark TTUSB doesn't have ground, so you can connect direct in to DIGI003R.
Ahhaaa wonderful..hey thanks bro!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Please put down the cables and back away slowly! LOL Now let's break it down. The turntable has 2 RCA outputs that are analog (RIAA equalized). The RCA SPDIF input on the 003 is a digital input and is absolutely not compatible with analog(even though they use the same connector). The simple, quick and dirty solutions are RCA(f) to quarter inch(m) adapters so the turntable plugs into 2 channels of the 003(this works but....) the best solution is to get (beg, borrow, rent, buy) something with RIAA phono inputs. This means a turntable preamp(so the LP's will sound correct without you having to re-EQ everything. Any DJ mixer with turntable inputs would have this. Run the turntable into the phono inputs and run the outputs of the DJ mixer into a pair of 003 line inputs. If you have lots of LP's to transfer, maybe buy a cheap DJ mixer off the bay and then ell it after you finish your project.

haaha, hey thanks alot bro I really appreciate your help. But do you have any idea as to why im only receiving LEFT channel signal only from the turntable?? That's really got me confused as hell. I thinking it was the stereo 1/8" to 1/4" adapter I was using, but I don't know.

But isn't there a way I can combine both the left and right RCA outs of the turntable towards a single stereo track in Pro Tools? It just doesn't make any sense to me why I can't do that...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Check if your turntable, it's Ok where the connectors, I mean RCA cable, try to connect the TTUSB on your receiver on your home, Maybe you have one stereo AM FM turntable receiver. only to make shure the TTUSB, if this Ok!, connect into 7-8 ALT SOURCE back on the 003R. and check if you receive the signal direct into your AUDIO CHANNEL, input 7-8 OK
Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 AM

If you do as I described, it will work. If you keep fussing around trying NOT what I describe,......then you will keep banging your head against the wall. The turntable USB connector is useless for Protools so forget it for now(or use a different DAW program). Plug the turntable RCA plugs into a DJ mixer, Mackie Big Knob or something with a PHONO input(which will have the proper EQ curve built in to make your LP's sound correct). Now use 2 cables to send left and right (from your PHONO preamp)to your 003(use line inputs 1 and 2 so you can adjust gain). You should go in the quarter inch inputs here but this can be unbalanced(just keep the cables under 10' or so). Now open your protools session and create a stereo audio track. Set the track inputs to 1&2 and put it in record. Set the GAIN knobs and start recording. This method works and should sound correct(because you are using an RIAA equalized PHONO preamp).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave