Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 10-16-2017, 08:47 AM

Default S6 slowing down PT

Hello guys,

I already posted about the slowness of the S6 with several while things working with big sessions (more than 200 tracks, which is very common around here) : nudging tracks on the S6, recalling layouts, displaying functions on the console with the ALL key activated, etc.

Eddie and his team seem to be working on those points … Can't wait for it.

But i'm experiencing something else that i find a bit alarming.
When the S6 is "linked" with my protools, it becomes way much slower in the way it reacts, and many operations can provocate the "spinning beach ball from hell" to appear and slow down the work.
It's very significant with the following actions : scrolling quickly the edit window, changing a routing of a track, opening the IO Setup (and validating it), moving the tracks within the session, creating tracks, deleting tracks, etc.

I was not sure about that, and the other day, while i was working in this very big session (350 voices, the HDX3 full and the CPU loaded at 60% in the usage window), I realized how much it was true.
The fact is that i began to work with this session with a DControl (same OS, same version of PT, same computer), it was heavy but it was absolutely workable.
The difference in how the PT reacts between the DControl and the S6 is big.
I just deactivated the Eucon in the peripherals, and immediately the Protools got back with a normal behavior. It's the same thing with all the sessions, even when i remove the satellite.

Do you know if there's any prefs or something i could do that would improve things ?

Here is my config :

OS 10.12.6, PT HD 12.8.1, HDX3, Mac Pro 5.1 3Ghz 12 Cores, 64 Go Ram.
S6 M40-9-32.
EuControl in V3.6.1.
Playback engine set at 512 samples, Delay Compensation is activated.
No video in the session.

and no other app is running of course.

Last edited by bucha; 10-16-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Re: S6 slowing down PT

You've probably already tried this, but in case you haven't give the following a try...
Go to Settings > User, scroll down to the Knobs section, and try lowering the setting for Number of Knobs per Plug-in or Instrument Transmitted over EUCON. I think it defaults to 1000. Doing so won't affect Pro Tools in any way, but might help improve response.
M
Old 10-16-2017, 12:53 PM

Of course !
Already set to the minimum.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Avid

V3.7 has some major surface speed ups but I don't think these will help PT. Try it (Wednesday) and we can go from there (maybe get your session etc.)
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 AM

Thanks Eddie,

Should i try it even if i don't install PT 12.8.2 (which is still not announced at the time we speak …) ?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Avid

Yes...I think you will have PT on Wed too...but if not S6 will still work OK just without the EQ and DYN cycling.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Hi Eddie,

I just got to Protools 12.8.2 and S6 V3.7 on Tuesday, and here are my feedbacks :

-Loading sessions is not faster.
-Loading Layouts is not faster.
-Closing session is not faster.
-Changing between WS is … OKAY ! NOW WE CAN TALK !

I just have several new things to give you :

-I didn't mention it before but, as well as opening sessions, closing is very long. I observe that there's a period of time (1 or 2 minutes) where the Console remains loaded with the tracks, PT doesn't look to do anything … and suddenly the console unload the tracks/objects and the PT can start "closing session". Furthermore, PT crashes during this process once in four or three.

-The other day i tried to load a very big session to keep testing the behavior of the Console and the PT working together. I opened a big session (3 HDX cards fully loaded) and CPU around 60% (Buffer size set at 1024 samples).
Recalling Layouts was incredibly Slow (loading strips like VEGAS mode if you see what i mean …). The reason was i didn't check the Buffer Size and it was accidentally set to 256 sample, the CPU was around 85%.
So it confirms that the S6 needs a lot free CPU (and memory) ressources on the workstations to remains reliable … But you'll understand that it's hard to tell a customer that, because we moved to S6, he'll have to restrain the numbers plugs he can put in his session whereas the workstation didn't change between DControl and S6.

Thanks !

Last edited by bucha; 10-26-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Avid

Correct on your observations...Layout recall is the next thing we are improving in v3.8
Session load and close times will be longer with S6 as its passing down all the Layouts and prefs to be saved in the session.
As for CPU load...S6 does way more than DControl.... Waveforms, 1000's of multi channel meters, Multi DAW etc. Not much we can do about that unfortunately.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Correct on your observations...Layout recall is the next thing we are improving in v3.8

Session load and close times will be longer with S6 as its passing down all the Layouts and prefs to be saved in the session.

As for CPU load...S6 does way more than DControl.... Waveforms, 1000's of multi channel meters, Multi DAW etc. Not much we can do about that unfortunately.

Oh, this sounds ugly. I’m installing a brand new S6 today.

Maybe I should step back, I don’t want to lose my precious CPU and have all these problems, I decided on the S6 to improve my system not to decrease my power.

Thanks god I found this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by del cosmos View Post
Oh, this sounds ugly. I’m installing a brand new S6 today.

Maybe I should step back, I don’t want to lose my precious CPU and have all these problems, I decided on the S6 to improve my system not to decrease my power.
I think that's a little overkill to say the least. We have over 1500 S6 customers now and most love it. Sure there are things that could be(and will be) improved but overall its a big step up from anything before.

What sort of track count do you use ?