Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-03-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Eleven Rack Expansion Setup Installation

I just received my Eleven Rack with Expansion from Sweetwater. Only thing is there is no expansion! Did this come pre-installed? What should I have gotten a cd rom? Usb stick? Or is there a code to download it online I am supposed to have?
Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Guitar, Bass, Cittern, Bouzouki, & Keys. Diamond, Strymon, Neunaber Technology, Lovepedal, Paul C., Boomerang, Sonic Research, Boss, DTS, Radial, EHX, TC Electronic, Xotic, Tech 21, and Damage Control Pedals.
Eleven Rack
Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Setup Installation

Hold down the ER's "edit/back" button for two seconds. Scroll down to "firmware version". Press "select".

If the firmware is 2.0 or later, the ERXP is already loaded into the ER.

As far as ProTools goes, I have no clue...
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricfiddle View Post
I just received my Eleven Rack with Expansion from Sweetwater. Only thing is there is no expansion! Did this come pre-installed? What should I have gotten a cd rom? Usb stick? Or is there a code to download it online I am supposed to have?
Your unit should come pre-installed with the Expansion Pack.

Do as requested above to make certain. It should be Firmware 2.0.1

Now in order to see the new items in the Eleven Rack Window in Pro Tools you will need to run the ERXP installer in order to insert the updated UI files into the plugin folder.

So now some history:

When the Eleven Rack was released it came with PT LE 8.0.1. PT LE 8.0.1 included the UI files for the Eleven Rack, whether you had the 11R or not, the files were installed.

Every release of PT since has included the 11R UI files. Just the base UI files, as in, the UI files for the amps, cabs, effects, ect.... that were originally included on the 11R.

Then a couple years later the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack was released.

The ERXP is a dual installer. Once you unzip the files, you run the ERXP and it inserts the new UI files so the 11R window in PT can visually reflect the new amps, mics, cabs, and effects. Keep in mind the actual Amps, effects, ect.... are all on the 11R itself, all processing is done by the 11R. The 11R Editor window in PT just allows you to see in a graphical representation of the items installed in the actual 11R unit. So don't confuse the way normal plugins work, with the way the plugin files for the 11R work.

After you ran the first section of the ERXP, and the UI files were inserted, it also placed a Firmware updater on the Desktop (main screen/home screen of your computer)

This Firmware updater is what actually contains the new items. You run the Firmware updater, making sure you are connected to the internet and the 11R drivers are installed, you input a S/N and ID code, it will authorize, then the new items will be installed to the actual 11R unit.

Once the 11R unit has been updated, you never have to run the Firmware updater again. And the Firmware updater is tied to the PC you used to install the firmware. Which means if you changed OS's - even if you were on the same physical PC, the firmware updater would not run because the hidden files that allow it to run have been deleted and the Avid server will only allow one use of the S/N and ID code. But as said, this is not a problem as once the Firmware has been updated, you are done.

So........

If you were to go to another PC (by the way I am using the term PC as Personal Computer not as a designation of a Windows based computer) with PT installed, and you hooked your updated Eleven Rack to that PC, then you would need to run the first section of the ERXP in order to have the updated UI files inserted into the plugin folder so you could see/use the ERXP items in the 11R when using PT. The you would trash the firmware updater that gets placed on the desktop.

On PT9 and now PT10, just the based 11R UI files are included still. Eventually they may roll the updated files into future PT releases.

However, since they are selling the Eleven Rack with the ERXP (Firmware 2.0.1 pre-installed) and the included PT9 and PT10 only have the original UI files for the 11R included, you need to run the ERXP in order to see the new items in Pro Tools.

You can download the ERXP here:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=425171

Run the first section and it will install the needed UI files. Then delete the firmware updater placed on your desktop.

You will have to run the ERXP on every PC you take your updated 11R to if you want to use the 11R window in PT. So keep the .zip ERXP file handy

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Thanks man...

Mine is firmware 2.0.1

I have a Macbook Air with no Cd-rom Drive.

What do I need to do step by step to get fully functional for live use, not recording? I'd like to edit presets and download user presets and use amps like the new Matchless and Bogner in the new expansion.

Thanks.
Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Guitar, Bass, Cittern, Bouzouki, & Keys. Diamond, Strymon, Neunaber Technology, Lovepedal, Paul C., Boomerang, Sonic Research, Boss, DTS, Radial, EHX, TC Electronic, Xotic, Tech 21, and Damage Control Pedals.
Eleven Rack
Old 12-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricfiddle View Post
Thanks man...

Mine is firmware 2.0.1

I have a Macbook Air with no Cd-rom Drive.

What do I need to do step by step to get fully functional for live use, not recording? I'd like to edit presets and download user presets and use amps like the new Matchless and Bogner in the new expansion.

Thanks.
You can use those amps and create your own presets and save them to the 11R itself in standalone mode right from the 11R unit itself.

The 11R unit itself is ready to be used for Live use or just noodling around.

If you want to use the 11R Window on your computer screen, you need to have Pro Tools 8.0.1 or above installed and open. This is also the only way you can save Rigs to your computer or download rigs from the web and then place them on the 11R for use - PT must be open.

You have a total of 208 Rigs on the 11R. 104 cannot be edited (Factory Presets) and 104 User Rigs that you can change as you wish. You can save as many rigs as you want to your computer or download as many rigs as you want and save them to your computer and place them or save then on the 11R when you feel the need.

A Great thing about using Pro Tools with the Eleven Rack and recording, is if you make a Rig or adjust a Rig, record a riff, then forget to save - no problem - The track will contain the exact setting used and you can load that back to the 11R at any time!

I have made a few tutorials for the 11R which you can find on my blog site or youtube page.

http://elevenrackusers.blogspot.com/

Just click the ELEVEN RACK TUTORIALS or YOUTUBE tab at the top of the page.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio