Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Moving to Reaper?

I've been consistently using Reaper as an effects design workstation, right next to Protools 7.3.1. Protools takes eons to do the same stuff I do in seconds there. I was able to accomplish much more within the deadlines I had been given as a result. So far it looks like a peaceful coexistence, and perhaps I may even jump the Protools 9 ship.

The choice of effects, the speed of the rendering, the flexiblity of the routing, which I'm sorry to say is a lot quicker to use in Reaper than in Protools will having me avoiding Protools altogether for effects editing and design tasks. It's just too slow, and it's just too easy to bring quickly rendered contraptions from Reaper in to Protools via the render-to-file-and-make-it-draggable-anywhere functionality.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM

Sorry for not reading through 531 pages. I just posted this in the HD forum by mistake:

Maybe I need coffee but I don't see what I'm not getting about Reaper not showing up in Pro Tools. I installed Reaper, why is it not simply showing up in Pro Tools? Besides the auto-slave option that's grayed out, all the Rewire options checked in Reaper. The ReaMote Slave app is in the Reaper folder. I'm lost, maybe because it's been a long day, but I'm lost.

Reaper is playing EWQL fine. Rewire in PT is missing... how are you all doing this... help please thx

EDIT: Came across a thread where TomMetro suggested the 32bit Reaper version. That worked. Also came across the rewire session template... Thanks Shan!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 PM

wow .. cool .. think I'll give it try. I ws considering either going to PT9 and using RME or Apogee Hardware or going to Nuendo . but $$$
Would be nice to stay on the ProTools for sessions/clientele .. studio standard .. but, I am so sick of AVID !!!
This site is a miss .. ProTools 8 doesn't work .. so, lets go to 9 ..
Going back sync to tape . analog front end ..

any other good software ideas .. keep me posted .. great link and idea guys !

thanx
Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM

OK .. so much for that . tried reaper and the learning curve will slow me WAAAAAY Down .. reminds me too much of early days of cubase or the other earlier computer music programs .. not enough like a console and analog signal path.

good luck guys
Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 PM

No mono channels
With "ultra liberal track assignments," there is no way to buss to an Aux In, ala PT; tracks can ONLY be output (directly) to a hardware output. So much for flexability in routing.

No proper tracking panning for stereo (or greater) tracks. Basic function such as this should not require a plug-in.

Edit Window (equivalent) structuring is an incredible waste of space. Remaining ties to initial like of Vegas/Acid still VERY much apparent. For those of us who do not care for those apps, this makes Reaper even less appealing (albeit in a minor capacity)

Folder Tracks are so liberal, they lack any true identity; for me (and some others), this loose structuring makes them the equivalent of wet paper bags. Tempted to remove the "folder' part, as tracks are jacks of all trades, master of none. *

*Now the caveat. Much can be overcome with an intense amount of time spent learning the app. While basic operation may be relatively intuitive, much of the app requires, at times considerable, time investment. For me, and some others, this leads to a very... shaky feeling. While the app can be stable, I was never able to feel comfortable. As a qualifier, I find PT, PARIS, and old school analog to be very intuitive, very easy for me to get into and become comfortable and stable with (even with the cons they possess).

While I wish PT9 were the app that would bring me home, I wish Reaper could have been the replacement, or at least a port amidst a storm that has no end in sight. I wish I knew someone who will have Sonar X1 that I could convince to allow me to hang and pick their brain and stomp about in it for several hours. It is the only app left to try. (Cubase does not even allow mouse wheel scroll/zoom assignments!! LOL!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
No mono channels
With "ultra liberal track assignments," there is no way to buss to an Aux In, ala PT; tracks can ONLY be output (directly) to a hardware output. So much for flexability in routing.

No proper tracking panning for stereo (or greater) tracks. Basic function such as this should not require a plug-in.
R4 alpha was just released. OMG!

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
No mono channels

Edit Window (equivalent) structuring is an incredible waste of space. Remaining ties to initial like of Vegas/Acid still VERY much apparent. For those of us who do not care for those apps, this makes Reaper even less appealing (albeit in a minor capacity)

Folder Tracks are so liberal, they lack any true identity; for me (and some others), this loose structuring makes them the equivalent of wet paper bags. Tempted to remove the "folder' part, as tracks are jacks of all trades, master of none. *

*Now the caveat. Much can be overcome with an intense amount of time spent learning the app. While basic operation may be relatively intuitive, much of the app requires, at times considerable, time investment. For me, and some others, this leads to a very... shaky feeling. While the app can be stable, I was never able to feel comfortable. As a qualifier, I find PT, PARIS, and old school analog to be very intuitive, very easy for me to get into and become comfortable and stable with (even with the cons they possess).

While I wish PT9 were the app that would bring me home, I wish Reaper could have been the replacement, or at least a port amidst a storm that has no end in sight. I wish I knew someone who will have Sonar X1 that I could convince to allow me to hang and pick their brain and stomp about in it for several hours. It is the only app left to try. (Cubase does not even allow mouse wheel scroll/zoom assignments!! LOL!!!)
That's funny, I found almost the exact opposite. Reaper came a lot easier to me to learn than ProTools, and I found that the folder tracks and routing allow me to do things that ProTools just can't do. I don't know what you are talking about not being able to make aux tracks in reaper, I do this all the time.

I think my biggest gripe with Reaper right now is that the aux assignments in the mix window auto order themselves, so you can't set it up like a real mixer. I want to have my reverb always be the 1st aux, and my delay to always be the 3rd aux, but that doesn't work in Reaper, and I don't know why.

Try running a film scoring template with 180 instrument tracks in ProTools running on one computer. It's just not going to happen unless you have invested in a huge HD system.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
That's funny, I found almost the exact opposite. Reaper came a lot easier to me to learn than ProTools, and I found that the folder tracks and routing allow me to do things that ProTools just can't do. I don't know what you are talking about not being able to make aux tracks in reaper, I do this all the time.
It is not possible to do what I describe. Track outputs are limited.. completely and absolutely, and designated as such in the I/O.. to Hardware. Track-to-Track routings require use of Send(s). Reaper does not have "Aux Tracks;" rather, a track can send and receive.

Please provide an example of routing PT is incapable of.

Then, try to make a "TRUE" mono track in Reaper. Since the channel selector only does even numbered channels with "2" as the least number of channels, this is inherently impossible to do. It can be... *simulated* or *implied*, nothing more.

Quote:
I think my biggest gripe with Reaper right now is that the aux assignments in the mix window auto order themselves, so you can't set it up like a real mixer. I want to have my reverb always be the 1st aux, and my delay to always be the 3rd aux, but that doesn't work in Reaper, and I don't know why.
Uh... what? I can re-order tracks in the Mix window in nearly any manner I desire, and have it a separate order from the TCP/Edit window. In fact, utilizing Folders as Submix "parents," I can split these in the Mixer, placing the Folder (parent) far right by the Master.

Reaper does not have Auxes; any track can be any type, and more than one type. Some find this liberating; I find it fickle and chaotic, limiting (immediate) visual feedback.

Quote:
Try running a film scoring template with 180 instrument tracks in ProTools running on one computer. It's just not going to happen unless you have invested in a huge HD system.
I know nearly nothing about Post. I have seen comparative discussions, and opinions vary according to facility type, followed by personal use.
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Shane
Epic Fail in too many areas for me. They listen to users? Yeah, about as much as Avid, Steinberg, etc. With many threads and a pretty detailed feature request in existence, Panning is still ridiculous. No mono tracks still, no internal Track output to another track (send only still), etc.

Funny.. if I could cut open PT9, C5.5 and R4 and sew them together, I would actually be content. Yes, seriously. Between the 3, every feature I desire is present. I am almost willing to bet that no app will exist in my lifetime that incorporates these things though.
Quote:
Old 12-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Shane
I apologize for my comments when quoting your post. You are deservedly excited about this, and my disappointment should not impinge on this.
Quote: