Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Default mbox lights up but not recognized

I have been using a mbox 2 on pro tool 7.4 on my windows vista os on my laptop and it was working fine. That broke and I purchased a used original mbox. The mbox worked fine with on my laptop. I then proceeded to install pt 6.4 on my desktop. My desktop continuously rebooted. I finally got the computer working again but it wont show LE in the programs folder and I cant install any other version of pro tools because it still has 6.1 on the system. I dont know what to do with that.

So now on my laptop where the mbox was working I installed a waves plugin pack. but this is also i was working to get the mbox to work on the desktop. Now the mbox lights up everything except the peak and phantom power lights. None of the buttons on the box work and pro tools 7.4 wont recognize the hardware anymore. If any one has any advice please help...
Old 09-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Default Re: mbox lights up but not recognized

In device manager, is the hardware called "Mbox firmware upgrade mode"?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:09 PM

Whoa, slow down, you're confusing us

You first say you loaded 6.4 on your desktop, then you say you can't do anything else with your desktop as far as Pro Tools is concerned because 6.1 is still there. Which is it?

6.4 is the first version of Pro Tools LE qualified to work with XP SP2 or SP3. If you have that, you need the following:

6.4 AND 6.4cs6 AND 6.4cs9 AND the latest PACE drivers.

Get the PTNuke exe from Downloads in support and use that to uninstall whatever version of Pro Tools LE you have on your desktop. Then go through and delete any files/folders from Digidesign that may still be left. Look in the Common Files Folder and the Program Folder as well as the Start menu. Then download and install/run CCleaner from Piriform - it's free and an excellent Registry Cleaner - be sure to back up your Registry when asked.

Now install 6.4 AND 6.4cs6 AND 6.4cs9 AND the latest PACE drivers and see if that gets you going on your desktop.

If your desktop has a multicore CPU, you may have to turn all but one core off when using 6.4 as 7x is the first version of Pro Tools that is multicore capable.

Another alternative is to load 7.4 on your desktop after doing ALL the uninstall above along with the latest PACE drivers, especially if your desktop is indeed multicore. You can load your copy of 7.4 on as many computers as you like, it won't run without a Digidesign interface.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-06-2009, 02:55 PM

LincolnThompson- yes it does. under sound video and game controllers its called "digidesign mbox (firmware upgrade mode)"

The weed- Sorry for the confusion. It is 6.4 on my desktop. And I'll try the ptnuke then reinstalling 6.4, 6.4cs6, 6.4cs9, and the PACE drivers. Also when you say 6.4cs6 and cs9 are those downloadable updates? and do i Download the PACE drivers? or are they contained within the install folders?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:16 PM

The cs updates are downloadable from the Support & Downloads Archives.

The PACE drivers are from PACE.

Make sure to clean eveything out first and run CCleaner too.

Out of curiosity, why not just load 7.4 on the desktop machine or is the desktop a single core?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazanz View Post
LincolnThompson- yes it does. under sound video and game controllers its called "digidesign mbox (firmware upgrade mode)"

The weed- Sorry for the confusion. It is 6.4 on my desktop. And I'll try the ptnuke then reinstalling 6.4, 6.4cs6, 6.4cs9, and the PACE drivers. Also when you say 6.4cs6 and cs9 are those downloadable updates? and do i Download the PACE drivers? or are they contained within the install folders?
Then the problem is that you do not have any firmware on your MBox. I have the same problem with my original MBox right now. My original Mbox was having problems, so I tried to update the firmware, but halfway through the process, it said it could not proceed. So, now I am stuck without any firmware on my original MBox. It can be corrected because I saw a thread that said how to cure it. But I could not fix it myself. So, if you fix it, let me know how you did it, so I can fix mine also. Here is a link to the thread of the guy who succeeded in fixing it: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=213739&page=2

"whoo doggy! Fixed it! I have digi approved system, Music XPC so I doubt any of this is a system compatibility issue. Not exactly sure how I fixed it unfortunately, but i did uninstall all digidrivers that are associated with 7.4 and selectively installed the previous drivers, including the MBOX firmware upgrade mode from my ProTools 6.1.1 disc. This seemed to fix the "error acquiring Mbox in firmware upgrade mode" message and allow me to proceed with the firmware update to completion. Also, as an added bonus, I am not hearing the clicks and pops now when recording audio. I would strongly encourage anyone to proceed with caution though if they attempt to try this firmware update. I'm wondering if perhaps there is a glitch in the 7.4 driver running the original MBOX.
Thank you TechSupport for your attention to this and special thank you to Cory Cooper for chiming in early with thoughtful advice.
-ryan "
Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 PM

I fixed the exact same problem with my original MBox. The problem when I had Pro Tools 7.4 or 8.0. I forget. But I could not get the MBox to work. All the LEDs were on and in Device Manager, the MBox was called "MBox Firmware Upgrade Mode". I have Windows XP Media Center SP3

So, here is how I fixed it:

I uninstalled all Digidesign related software and drivers from "Add and Remove Programs" in control panel in this order:

Uninstall Avid Core Runtime
Uninstall Avid DIO Runtime
Uninstall Digidesign Bomb Factory
Uninstall Digidesign Shared Plugins
Uninstall any ASIO drivers
Uninstall any other Digidesign related items.
Uninstall Pro Tools 7.4 with all all drivers, databases, and everything else uninstalled.

Reboot computer.

Install ASIO 6.1.1 driver. http://archive.digidesign.com/download/asio/
Click "install anyway" when the "has not passed the windows logo" box comes up.

Run MBox Firmware updater 20. http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?lang...4&itemid=23310
You will have to follow instructions for unplugging and plugging in the usb cable on the mbox

Sometimes things can be unpredictable, so keep trying with uninstalling and reinstalling the 6.1.1 drivers and rebooting, You'll get it to work. when you are done, Firmware 20 will be on it and the lights will work right on the mbox and you can reinstall Pro Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 AM

I'm running vista ultimate on my laptop. Is there a firmware upgrade that works for vista or does the one that says just xp work for vista also?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Also, where can i get ptnuke.exe?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Oh and to answer the curiosity question. The mbox 2 i was using with pro tools 7.4 wasnt mine. Now I actualy own a mbox but I no longer have access to the 7.4 installation cd because my buddy that owns the mbox 2 lost it.