Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Need Help Debugging PC - SANDRA Report Included

Hello,

I seem to have reached an impasse in my quest to get a stable XP system going with PT8.

I don’t want to ramble, but since everyone always says to include as much info as possible, this may get a bit boring - unless you’re one of the gurus who actually enjoys delving into this stuff…hopefully, for my sake, there’s someone here who does.

OVERVIEW:

I’m planning on building or buying a serious system in the near future, but I need to get my P4 machine running so that I won’t be down in the meantime.

I bought this throwdown PC specifically because it used a CPU and chipset listed in the old Digi compatibility docs (Intel D865GVHZ Motherboard / Intel 865GV Chipset) and could use the Corsair DDR2 memory sticks (2 Gb) robbed from my previous Asus MB (which used an older Athlon CPU not compatible with PT8.0).

When I first got this PC, it had XP Pro/SP3 already installed, and seemed to run okay.

This is where my memory gets a little blurry - I wasn’t taking notes because I wasn’t expecting this to become such a nightmare.

I had performed the Digi-recommended Windows XP optimizations and made sure that IE8 was not installed - but there were problems loading PT 8.0 from the factory disk - it would ALWAYS freeze at the same point: “Installing ProTools Drivers”. I started doing searches online, then turning various Windows elements on or off. Somehow, I finally managed to get 8.0 to install, but I still don’t know what I did.

After I finally got it loaded, it seemed to run okay (it played my old projects, etc.), but then it started getting unstable. I seem to remember that it had to do with either Pro Tools or Windows “encountering problems and needing to shut down”.

I had installed Acronis and had been making backups at various points - I decided to revert back to a previous stage, but when I did, the problems just got worse. I was never able to get back to anything solid.

I had my own copy of XP Pro/SP1, so I decided to reformat and do a fresh install, then update online to SP3. This turned out to be a nightmare in itself. I tried doing the Windows optimizations beforehand, but would run into problems, usually because some Microsoft Service had been turned off, or the system wouldn’t recognize my USB stick (which I needed to load the LAN drivers, etc.). So I’d turn things on and off, reboot, try again, and then run into another roadblock. Usually I’d get to SP2 (sometimes SP3) only to have Windows Updater freeze or tell me that Windows had run into an unexpected problem and needed to shut down.

All in all, I’d probably reformatted the hard drive 7 or 8 times.

I took my PC to a friend, who installed his OEM version of XP Pro / SP2 successfully from disk. I was then able to successfully load PT 8.0 (but was not successful at loading v.8.0.3 so I reverted back to 8.0). Everything worked fine for a couple of days, then things started getting flakey again (Windows or Pro Tools needed to shut down, etc.).

Several folks on the DUC then told me that I needed to be running Service Pack 3 for anything later than v.7.4. (I had been under the impression that SP2 OR SP3 was acceptable, having read something to that effect in one of the Digi announcements).

The good news (I thought) was that this could explain the instability I was having with 8.0. All I needed to do (I thought) was somehow get SP3 installed - then everything would be fine.

But I continued to have trouble downloading SP3 (Windows Updater would shut down on me).

Growing desperate, I purchased a CD containing SP1, 2, and 3 on Ebay from an individual, hoping that I would be able to circumvent the Microsoft Updater site and successfully get back to SP3.

I loaded SP2 from the CD (after being told several times that certain updates had failed to install), but when I got to SP3, the system told me that the “file was corrupt”. I retried unsuccessfully several times, then contacted the fellow who had sold me the Service Pack CD. He told me to try and install SP3 in Safe Mode, which I successfully did.

Thinking I was nearing the Finish Line, I popped in my PT 8.0 disk and began the installation procedure - only to have the PT Installer freeze at the usual “Installing ProTools Drivers” point.

Well, that’s where I am now. A questionable XP Pro / SP3 installation and an inability to install the PT Drivers.

I’m out of ideas, although the fact that I’ve had so much trouble just getting an operating system installed seems to indicate that there’s a very basic system conflict here (as opposed to a Pro Tools problem).

If anyone can suggest anything, it would really be appreciated. Below is my SANDRA report. I’ll be happy to provide any additional info needed.

Thanks!

PS: I had intended to send a Belarc report as well, but after spkguitar told me about all the licensing info it includes, I chickened out :>)

========================================

NOTE #1: THIS REPORT RUN BEFORE ANY OPTIMIZATIONS PERFORMED!

NOTE #2: ACCORDING TO SANDRA, ACTIVE X NOT CURRENT

NOTE #3: BASIC WINDOWS PROGRAM STILL RUNNING ERRATICALLY

SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : intelp4
User : Gary

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Speed : 2.8GHz
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)
Integrated Data Cache : 16kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L2 On-board Cache : 1MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Mainboard : Intel D865GVHZ
BIOS : Intel Corp. BF86510A.86A.0073.P23.0502140017 02/14/2005
Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 2GB DIMM DDR

Chipset
Model : Intel 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)
Total Memory : 2GB DIMM DDR
Shared Memory : 16MB
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Corsair CMX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR PC1-3200U DDR1-400 (3-3-3-8 2-11-0-0)
Memory Module : Corsair CMX1024-3200C2 1GB DDR PC1-3200U DDR1-400 (3-3-3-8 2-11-0-0)

Storage Devices
Maxtor 6L080M0 (80GB, SATA150, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 75GB (C:)
SONY CD-RW CRX320E (ATAPI, DVD+-R, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 75GB (NTFS) @ Maxtor 6L080M0 (80GB, SATA150, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ SONY CD-RW CRX320E (ATAPI, DVD+-R, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : T0 F0-D1
Audio Device : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor 0040h
Serial Port(s) : 1
Parallel Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) EIDE Controller
Disk Controller : Intel 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller
USB Controller 1 : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1
USB Controller 2 : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2
USB Controller 3 : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3
USB Controller 4 : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4
USB Controller 5 : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB 2.0 EHCI Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : ADS Technologies TSB43AB23 1394a-2000 OHCI PHY/link-layer Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Platform Compliance : x86

Performance Tips
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Need Help Debugging PC - SANDRA Report Included

Are you using onboard video?

Do you have a dedicated 2nd hard drive for session audio?

Do you have IE8 installed?

I must have missed it... What PT interface?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 PM

Hello Tom,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, using onboard video.

Yes, using external Maxtor FW drive for media (plus 2nd Maxtor FW drive for backup - 'don't know why that didn't show up in SANDRA).

Using DIGI 002 RACK.

No IE8 installed (only IE6)
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Integrated video is not supported.

You should update to IE7. Not only does IE6 have MAJOR security holes, it has been linked to the same problem people have had with IE8.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarBud View Post
Hello Tom,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, using onboard video.

Yes, using external Maxtor FW drive for media (plus 2nd Maxtor FW drive for backup - 'don't know why that didn't show up in SANDRA).

Using DIGI 002 RACK.

No IE8 installed (only IE6)
Onboard video may be your problem or at least part of it..

How did you wind up with IE6 after installing SP2 and SP3? We need to think about the OS installation.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Tom and Benoni,

Wow! Good info.

I had no idea that IE6 had ever been an issue.

And I just assumed that using integral video would simply lighten the load. I always heard that you shouldn't pull the PCI bus down with a video card if it isn't necessary.

So you're saying that I need a video card?

This motherboard is very basic and has no dedicated AGP connector (only regular PCI slots).

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarBud View Post
Tom and Benoni,

Wow! Good info.

I had no idea that IE6 had ever been an issue.

And I just assumed that using integral video would simply lighten the load. I always heard that you shouldn't pull the PCI bus down with a video card if it isn't necessary.

So you're saying that I need a video card?

This motherboard is very basic and has no dedicated AGP connector (only regular PCI slots).

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!
AGP is a dead port anyway. Here are the quotes right from Digidesign:

Quote:
Pro Tools Windows Computers Require a Dedicated Graphics Controller.

Windows computers with integrated (i.e. northbridge-based) graphics controllers are not supported and may not perform well with Pro Tools. To achieve best results, the system must use a dedicated graphics controller.

For desktop computers this usually means a separate graphics card is installed. For laptop computers, this is usually an option offered at the time of purchase. Desktop computers that do not have a dedicated graphics controller installed will need to install either an AGP or PCIe based graphics controller. PCI or PCIx based graphics controllers are not supported.

Unfortunately, Windows desktop computers without either an available AGP graphics or PCIe graphics slot available, and Laptop computers without a built-in dedicated graphics controller cannot be upgraded to this functionality.

How Can I Tell if My Graphics Controller is Compatible?

Try checking the description for Display Adapters listed in the Device Manager. If you see the word "integrated" for an entry under Display Adapters, it usually indicates an unsupported integrated graphics controller is present. See Paragraph 2 above for solutions to this.

For motherboards based on Intel Chipsets, a supported graphics entry will include the name of another manufacturer: (ATI, nVidia, etc.). This is also true of motherboards based on VIA chipsets. Motherboards based on supported nVidia nForce family chipsets may have dedicated video controllers that also list nVidia as the manufacturer. However, the model will be different from the chipset: (nVidia GeForce, etc.).

To check the Display Adapters entry in the Device Manager:

Windows XP:
Start Menu > Control Panels > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Display Adapters
-or-
Start Menu > Right-Click "My Computer" > Left-Click Properties > Left-Click the Hardware Tab > Left-Click the Device Manager Button > Left-Click the "plus" sign next to Display Adapters

Windows Vista:
Start Menu > Right-click on "Computer" > Left-click "Properties" > Left-click "Advanced System Settings" > Left-click the "Hardware" tab > Left-click "Device Manager" > Left-click the "+" sign next to "Display Adapters"

Windows 7: Start Menu> Type "Dev" into the Start Menu Search. Device Manager will show up under the CONTROL PANEL Header. Left Click.> Left click the ">" arrow next to Display Adapters.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 PM

The fact you have a Pentium 4 and are trying to run PT LE 8 is an issue right off the get-go. You may/probably don't have enough CPU power to adequately run 8x.

Does the firewire card have a TI chipset?

Does the firewire enclosure have an Oxford chipset?

Just out of curiosity, why don't you have a second internal drive for audio?

You may want to get Windows XP squared away and tweaked before trying PT LE 8x.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM

OMG!

How did I miss this?

The mystery is solved.

Unfortunately, this means I'm out 'o luck in the interim.

I'm down until I build a completely new system.

But at least I know where I stand now.

Thanks,

EarBud