Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 AM

Lightbulb Using RME MADI Bridge as a backup router

I'm looking at getting a MADI bridge each end so I can run a backup optical on a seperate cable. I've found a sexy little device called a MADI bridge with 2 optical in/outs and 6 coax in/outs. Would I be able to use the MADI bridge as a routing matrix for the normal coaxial snake outputs on the stage rack so I can have dual redundancy for monitors and front of house? Or are they incompatible protocols?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Using RME MADI Bridge as a backup router

JCollee,

I think I know the device you are talking about. That is the one I am looking at as well. I am a little confused here on why you are interested in doing (what it seems) to be a MADI snake and a normal snake between the stage. Are you wanting to just use it for a super redundancy?

To be completely honest, I am not completely sure what protocol the Stage rack uses. I have never heard anything, so I am guessing it is some type of Digidesign proprietary protocol. I would not be surprised if it was based upon the MADI protocol...but I do not know. I would guess that it is not compatible with the router you are talking about. Maybe someone would be willing to try to see if that setup would pass signal?

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Avid

Hi guys,

Even though the VENUE digital snake is not MADI, we have tested and qualified it for use with several RME devices. More info at this link. The RME box is simply a transcoder and can pass our snake signal as if it were MADI. Note that it will not convert the snake signal into MADI, so don't be confused by this.

With the right combination of RME units and cables you can create a redundant optical connection. Be sure to think carefully about the configuration, as it's easy to create a single point of failure in such a system - ideally separate RME units should be used at each end, for each run, in order to be truly redundant. Otherwise a failure on one RME box could take out the whole system.

Sheldon
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Sheldon. Good to know.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 08-12-2010, 04:10 AM

Perfect, thank you Sheldon. Just to clarify slightly Ken, I'm looking at running two optical snakes, main and back up with a box either end so I can switch over at the press of a button if needs be. Then on different gigs using that box to route the normal snake signal so that monitors and FOH can make use of the redundant snake rather than it being sacrificed as a split. Would I be better off using a MADi converter instead as I want to allow for 2 stageboxes?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollee View Post
Perfect, thank you Sheldon. Just to clarify slightly Ken, I'm looking at running two optical snakes, main and back up with a box either end so I can switch over at the press of a button if needs be. Then on different gigs using that box to route the normal snake signal so that monitors and FOH can make use of the redundant snake rather than it being sacrificed as a split. Would I be better off using a MADi converter instead as I want to allow for 2 stageboxes?
Why do you want to do a manual changeover? If your console and racks are set up for a main and BU snake you can convert them both to optical with the RME devices Sheldon mentioned and the system will run just as if you had main and BU on coax.

As Sheldon also mentioned, if you are going to the effort and expense of a separate BU you should consider having 2 RME boxes at each end as well, to eliminate that as a single point of failure. It is an expensive solution, but in the middle of the show it could prevent an expensive failure.

Mac
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 AM

Cool and the gang, cheers dudes