Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM

Default Screens & screens

Has anybody with a delivered S6 tried to put the Protools (computer) screens above the S6 screens ? is it even possible without it getting too cumbersome high?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Screens & screens

After sitting thru a demo last nite(thank you to Avid and Vintage King, Nashville). I think one of the main intentions is for you to not need traditional screens for much, so having a screen off to the side should not be an issue. One thing to remember about the line is, the M10 package doesn't have any screens except for the main touchscreen(which is actually a tablet PC). Sure wish Avid would release that touchscreen software

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 AM

I think the idea is that you'll look at the PT screen a lot less.

Having said that, I really think Neve nailed it with their Genesys Black.

I think Avid should do their version of this with Cranesong handling the analog pathways. Imagine an S6 but with Cranesong frontend, processing, and summing.

I pitched this to Dave Hill at AES and he seemed into it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 AM

I agree with Drew. The Neve Genesys Black got it right. PT screen right in front and center.
I attended a demo of the S6 and the main concern I have about it is the fact that I can not have my PT screen directly in front of me because the of the touch screen that is directly in front. Not only is it in front, but it sticks up really high thus blocking any possibility of the PT screen being seen behind the touch screen.

These days editing and mixing are being done at the same time, all of the time, across facilities all over the world. I think that the S6 design is still operating under the old paradigm that mixing is only done after editing is completed. Having the PT screen off to the side will completely kill the workflow I have become so accustomed to. If the S6 were to be set up with the producer's desk in the middle so you can have the PT screen in the middle, then one does not have any of the master section of the console in front of you.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this all work?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM

One thing worth noting is; the center section with the touchscreen can actually be moved to ANY location, so it could easily go at either far end of the setup. The "case" is made up of 12" wide buckets and you are free to install ANY module in ANY bucket(you could have 3 fader modules deep in one bucket and all knobs in the next bucket). Each module connects via cat6(I think there is a network switch in the frame).

Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
One thing worth noting is; the center section with the touchscreen can actually be moved to ANY location, so it could easily go at either far end of the setup. The "case" is made up of 12" wide buckets and you are free to install ANY module in ANY bucket(you could have 3 fader modules deep in one bucket and all knobs in the next bucket). Each module connects via cat6(I think there is a network switch in the frame).
I think what DAPG is talking about is moving the screen itself independent of the master section controls in front of it. I wonder if the screen can be laid flat - that would eliminate it from blocking the PT computer screen.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 PM

IIRC, the screen will lay back a lot(not sure if it will go flat though).

Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPG View Post
These days editing and mixing are being done at the same time, all of the time, across facilities all over the world. I think that the S6 design is still operating under the old paradigm that mixing is only done after editing is completed. Having the PT screen off to the side will completely kill the workflow I have become so accustomed to. If the S6 were to be set up with the producer's desk in the middle so you can have the PT screen in the middle, then one does not have any of the master section of the console in front of you.
+1 Seems like a huge miss.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPG View Post
I agree with Drew. The Neve Genesys Black got it right. PT screen right in front and center.
I attended a demo of the S6 and the main concern I have about it is the fact that I can not have my PT screen directly in front of me because the of the touch screen that is directly in front. Not only is it in front, but it sticks up really high thus blocking any possibility of the PT screen being seen behind the touch screen.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this all work?
I would argue for someone who does a high level of editing/mixing like a a Sound Designer/Pre-Dubbing suite – you wouldn't likely need the Meter Displays (with the M40) because the CPU displays are so critical to their workflow - they can be right above the channels (even left and right of the Master Touch Module). Also, without the Meter Displays, it is IMHO more ergonomic than any other mixing solution out there (including ICON, S5-MC & S5 where you had limited options like Producers desks).

We heard from traditional dub stage mixers that they want to get away from the Pro Tools edit screens – the scrolling meter displays are all they need to stay in tune with what's coming down the pipe and it's relative volume.

The nice thing is – you can choose your destiny and even change it later (where before with ICON and S5-MC you had no choice but to have the meter bridge and try to integrate multiple displays).

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I think what DAPG is talking about is moving the screen itself independent of the master section controls in front of it. I wonder if the screen can be laid flat - that would eliminate it from blocking the PT computer screen.
You can tilt the Master Touch Module back quite a bit. Not flat, but about 25 degrees or so….

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/