Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2002, 08:28 AM

Default advice on adding lightpipe inputs

okay, i really want to add the 8 lightpipe inputs. an obvious choice would be the digimax or the octopre. but i'm thinking of two things
1) get a digimax or octopre
2) get a better mixer and a decent 8 channel converter

i don't even want to say what kind of mixer i currently own, but i'm thinking of getting an allen and heath mixer or a soundcraft mixer. the external converter would probably be a frontier designs tango, or something in that price range.
here's the $500 question. which has the better pre's and the better converter's? would a mixer like the allen and heath 16:2 mix wizard sound better than the octopre? would the digital card on the octopre sound better than a dedicated 8 channel converter? thanks for the advice.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:32 AM

Default Re: advice on adding lightpipe inputs

by the way, i got the data cannot be sent error while trying to post, so somehow it this got posted twice, anyone know how to delete the extra post?
Old 12-26-2002, 08:44 AM

click on the tablet with the pencil.....the next page gives ya an option edit or delete [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Get the Octopre!!!! It sounds great, I have the lightpipe card installed and I'm clocking it to an PSX-100. sounds BAD_A$S!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 08:46 AM

click on the edit button (piece of paper with a pencil) of the post you want to delete. Check the "delete this post" box, click "edit post", and voila.....its a goner...

Bastiaan
Old 12-26-2002, 09:36 AM

Another vote for the Octopre: after recording with it my tracks have gained a crispness and opennes that I was missing with my previous preamps. Get the Adat card as well, with a clocking source like Gorilla suggested it should sound super good, I'm just clocking my 001 to it via the Adat input but it sound just fine this way; I'm planning on getting a dedicated clock generator for my digital machines.

L.G.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:08 AM

i like the idea of the octopre, but how does its pre's sound compared to the allen and heath? i need better pre's all around, so getting a mixer would help me, but the octopre would definitely kill 2 birds with a 1 space rack unit.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:26 AM

J Fo, I can't compare the octopre to allen & heath because I never used those, but I've recorded stuff from electronic{NIN styles} to P.O.D. to Black Crowes to extreme death metal, and no one's complained yet. The octopre handled it's own in each style!! Basses direct, Kurzweils direct, drum mikings, some vocals, clean guitars direct thru it A.O.K. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The light pipe card took about 15 minutes to install, and as I said earlier it locks {clocking} right to my Apogee no problem!!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:36 PM

personally i'd go for the A&H mixer over the soundcraft for mic-pres anyday. i've use both reguarly and while the soundcraft has the awesome inferface and layout which makes me love them, unless you are getting a highend desk then the allan & heath will sound better.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:39 PM

thanks man. have you heard the sceptor series by allen and heath? it's a rack mount version, but has the same features (aux sends, eq options) as the mix wizard series. just asking because there's a couple on ebay right now. do you know if it might have the same pre's as the mix wizard? thanks for your input.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:07 PM

Someone is selling an 8 channel converter on the buy/sell forum for $500...

8 channels, balanced, lightpipe, swissonic

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=17;t=023448

Bastiaan