Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Default Reference channel in Sonnox not working. Bug?

Hello,

I'm experiencing a very annoying bug with Sonnox Dynamics (V1-6-2, the latest one) in PT HD (PT HD3 , v°8.0.1cs1).
Since I'm working on film, I need to use the Sonnox on 5.0 Auxs, and, for most of those Auxs, I need the Center channel to be taken as reference.
By default, multi-mono plugs are set to "Left" as reference.
I change that setting within the plug, then play the session and it does take Center channel as a reference. Good.
Problem is, as soon as I close the plug (or open another one), the setting returns to default (Left channel).
Has anyone experienced this??...
This bug is making the Sonnox completely useless in 5.1 mixing...

Thanks for any help...
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Reference channel in Sonnox not working. Bug?

Quote:
By default, multi-mono plugs are set to "Left" as reference.
I'm not sure what you mean. I just tried it, same version, multi-mono. When I close/reopen the plug, all settings and operation remains the same. What DOES change is the channel that is being shown/addressed by the GUI, selected by the little button just under the chain link. Is that what you are talking about? You're right, it would be nice if that would remember the channel you last looked at.

To follow just the center signal only, you can do that using a key input. That's the only way I can think of to do it, and keep identical compression on all channels. Is that what you are trying?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 AM

Yes, you got it right, I'm speaking about the channel you can select under the "link" button. In all other plugs I own, this does work, except for the Sonnox (looks bad for such a brand...).
It would be more than nice if this could work since, when using the plug to compress voices in a 5.1 mix for example, referencing to the left channel just doesn't make sense. It ends up with almost no compression at all (most of the "energy" being located in the center channel).
I was thinking about creating 3 Auxs (C-LR-LsRs) instead of one (5.0) but the side chain idea seems pretty good too.
Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 AM

I've just tried it and it doesn't work either... Really odd.
If I take the center channel as source for the side chain/Key input, I still don't get the same amount of compression I get when setting the reference channel to C.
That makes Sonnox Dynamic a "no go" for me...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 AM

Multi mono means there are 5 separate compressors that can have their user controls linked together. That doesn't mean the the compressor actions are linked together. They each detect and gain-reduce independently. You use the term "reference channel", but when the channels are linked, only the controls are linked, not the compressor's gain operation. When linked, it does not make any difference if you are spinning the knobs on the left channel or the center channel. The controls are of all 5 channels are linked and being adjusted identically. However, each channel is still operating on its own signals, independently. Your center channel is operating independently from all the others. The others do not care what the center channel is doing

Multi mono compressors are not the same as a multi channel compressor. Sonnox does not offer a surround compressor.

Or, am I still not understanding you?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:49 AM

Well, I've done my homework (at last), read things in the PT and Sonnox manuals, and found that I was completely misusing those link/channels options... I'm (or was) an idiot.
I was misunderstanding the "channel selector" function. Most of the time, it's just a display button, not more (no "reference channel" thing here, except if you want to link all of the channels). And it's completely normal that it resets to the Left channel (although it would be convinient that it could reset to the center channel instead), every plugs does that...
I've also learned that you could link some of the channels (L-R+Ls-Rs for example) and keep one of those (center for example) unlinked (by simply clicking on some of the small green squares).
I've even discovered a very convenient shortcut (alt+clic on the channel selector opens one window of the plug for each channel).
Side chain does also work, no problem (I just thought selecting the "side chain channel" was enough and forgot to engage the "Key input" button... stupid me).
Anyway, sorry for the waste of time, I have a very bad habit not to read manuals, always thinking I'm experienced enough, but I'm not!....
Live and learn...
Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 AM

Clicking the little green buttons? I thought I tried that and they did nothing, but I'll try it again! Thanks for that!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 AM

It will only work if you "de-link" the channels ("chain" sign unchecked).
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Sonnox does not offer a surround compressor.
I should have qualified that. I was talking about RTAS. There is a multi-channel TDM compressor. I use it for my final mix outputs.