Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 02-25-2021, 08:48 PM

Default Avid's Terrible and Worthless Support

I've been an Avid/PT user for over 20 years. It's an obviously well-established industry standard DAW with universal acclaim. Not for everyone, sure, but for those who have matured with the platform, stand by it, and depend on its workflow with all of its powerful possibilities, it has become an absolute staple.

How can this company have such completely useless and ineffective tech support and why does this company treat its customers so poorly?

I recently upgraded to PT 2020.12 on a new MacPro and encountered a troublesome issue. Importing Quicktime audio suddenly stopped. This worked fine for a few days but it suddenly stopped. This during crunch time for me with numerous deadlines on my plate. I contacted Avid via phone and was told I needed to purchase tech "support". (I subscribe monthly which used to come with support...but not any more I guess) After purchasing said support, was told I should be on the lookout for a phone call and/or email. She literally said "keep your phone on you" This rep also claimed that my case was escalated to urgent due to my deadlines and lack of workaround.

Needless to say, a phone call was never received after 3 days and counting. They did send an email instructing me to log onto my account and view my support code but the site is completely confusing and the only support codes in my account are from 2012. There's nothing that acknowledges my recent call/issue.

Meanwhile they wasted no time taking my extra $50.

I even have stock in Avid but not for long. Complete garbage
Old 02-25-2021, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Avid's Terrible and Worthless Support

I realize this isn’t remotely idea, but have you tried converting your QuickTime videos into something more avid friendly and DNXHD inside an MFX wrapper with Davinici Resolve? Maybe you’d have better luck with that? Or could you request from the video side of your project an MXF wrapped DNXHD QuickTime file? Again not ideal but it might have a better chance at working. Also one final thought, maybe something like VideoSlave (https://non-lethal-applications.com/.../video-slave-4) could solve your workflow problem? I know a number of people who have either been greatly disrupted by the lack of QuickTime support in ProTools or have made sure to not upgrade OSX because of it (which I know you can’t avoid if you got that new MacPro 7,1).
Old 02-26-2021, 12:00 AM

Do you have a support case number? We may be able to escalate your case and at least ask if you should not have been charged
Old 02-26-2021, 04:25 AM

I have a work around. I just export QTs as audio and import said files into PT session separately. It's not a huge deal, just an annoying new step that adds up over the day.

@JFreak
I've received an email receipt confirming my support purchase but there is no clear ASC. The email tells me to log on to "get download details". When I log onto Avid and navigate to "Use your ASC", I then click "retrieve ASC details." This sends me another email that shows all of the ASCs associated with my account...but the only information displayed is from 2012. There is zero indication that I have purchased a new ASC and nothing regarding my current issue.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:27 AM

Oh crap. I will escalate this anyway, lets hope someone contacts you and sorts it out.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:08 PM

Yes, the Avid support is the worst with the hard to understand support in another Country and waiting up to months for a reply..

Don't worry Moderator JFreak has been erasing and moving all the negative threads on these threads.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
...Moderator JFreak has been erasing and moving all the negative threads on these threads.
Moderators don't erase or move posts/threads. Admins occasionally move posts/threads (like this one) to more appropriate subforums, and on very rare occasions remove posts that violate the Terms of Use.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercollege View Post
...there is no clear ASC. The email tells me to log on to "get download details"...
I checked your account and it's still in Products Not Yet Downloaded so please go there and Activate... to add the code to My Products.