Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-1999, 11:18 AM

Default Not to beat a dead horse but....

I am about to build a home studio, and have been reading these posts. I plan to get involved with scoring for educational videos and am wondering if it will be possible with the Digi 001. The lack of time code support scares me. Would I be a fool to pass up the Didgi 001 for a Cubase/Lexicon setup? Is the amount of time code support at least that of a Cubase rig? Please help.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-1999, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Not to beat a dead horse but....

Although it would be possible to do scoring to picture with an 001, it would probably be a huge pain with unpredictable results. (digi has even said, if you want to do post, DON'T buy the 001) There is WAY more time code support in virtually any other music app: cubase (vst or tdm), logic (audio), (digital)performer or (studio) vision. Unless digi changes their mind about the TC thing before they release it, I'd go with something other than the digi gear.

Mike

[This message has been edited by noisefloor (edited 10-28-99).]
Old 10-28-1999, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the advice! How come you didn't mention Digital Performer? Has anyone heard one of those set-ups (with the MOTU card/interface)?
Old 10-28-1999, 08:26 AM

he did mention it - performer

the motu setup sounds great - although there are rca unbalanced ins-outs, if you are using the lightpipe (adat) or tdif (tascam) connections, you will get up to 24 digital ins/outs at the same time, in sample accurate synch (add a digital timepiece for the tascams) Try that with the 001!

I think DIGI intends the 001 more as an all inclusive unit, not to be configured with too much outboard, etc.

For this purpose, it is an excellent unit. (it still has 24 bit converters over 20 bit, and comes with mic pre and midi interface). It all depends on your needs and what your studio is about.
Old 10-28-1999, 01:38 PM

i dunno nuthin bout the lexicon....

i DO know that it seems like the more different outside parties involved in a setup, the more confusing and complicated it gets, to both you AND to your mac.....I have been told on numerous occasions that the better way to go is to use the stuff that's intended to go together, and don't try to configure things that don't particularly match up.

ie motu digital performer is MEANT to be used with 1224! not lexicon cards! i don't know how important this is to u.....but why end up being the unpaid beta tester!!!!!..... only to find out it doesn't work the way you thought, ending upin the end buying what you originally thought was better anyway, and the whole time coulda been makin tunes!!
Old 10-28-1999, 01:39 PM

oh, and i have to think that the 001 offers WAY more than the lexicon setup, (which you would still need software for anyway!)
Old 10-29-1999, 12:41 AM

Oh wow... so he did mention performer. I gotta lay off that crack pipe! Anyway, I'm stuck between Digital Performer vs. Cubase and MOTU 1224 (I don't have any ADATs) & Lexicon Studio. I've heard great things about all of them... Suggestions?? Will Digital Performer work with the Lexicon rig?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-30-1999, 11:52 AM

No timecode...damn it! Well that ties it. I did not see the fact that there is no timecode. I would rather do the MOTU thing. I use Logic Audio and Digital Performer. However, even if I don't use timecode. It should be in there. I was told at the digi world show that Digi 001 would have a TDM upgrade path. If that were the case, why can't they put timecode in Digi 001. Why have a upgrade path to something that doesn't have timecode capability...what is the point. It sound to me like we would be piece mailing the the stuff together. I just wanted to be able to use PT 5 for MIDI/Audio and minimize the usage of the other apps. But, now, it doesn't seem plausible.
or
[email protected]
My website is featured prominently at:
http://www.beatnik.com
Click on Sonified Showcases and scroll to Homesteaders.