Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-07-2022, 10:42 AM

Default Audio Routing Issue

Good morning,

I've got a new Windows 10 computer running PT2018.4 and it's wonderful.. I have an MBoxIII and have the PT audio running through the MBox to a pair of monitors.. I can connect my headphones through the MBox jack and hear through the phones.. So that's fine..

I bought a new receiver as well. Nothing fancy.. I have two sets of speakers connected to the back of the receiver. If I open up a youtube video, the audio is heard through the two sets of speaker with no problem.. If I plug the headphones into the receiver, I hear the youtube video no problem.

So....... with my old receiver, I was able to hear PT sessions through the receiver's attached speakers.. Now for some reason, I can't? I don't remember having to do anything special with the old receiver to hear the session audio through the receiver's two sets of speakers, so I'm kind of in the dark.

I thought I might need an RCA connection splitter, plug the one connection into the OUT on the back of the MBox and connect the two connection end into another input on the back of the receiver.. Call it Input B. Well, no PT session audio comes through the speakers. Also can't hear the session audio through the receiver's headphone jack which is what I like to do.

It's like PT is ignoring the receiver entirely.. So I'm wondering if there might be settings I need to change in Pro tools and/or in the MBoxIII?? It seems all I had to do on the old receiver was change which output path was used, that I could either hear through the two monitors, or through the other two sets of speakers.. Anyone have an idea?? I appreciate any thoughts..

Take care, Rich
Old 01-07-2022, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Audio Routing Issue

Much more detail needed. What "receiver"? exact make/model? How exactly is it connected to the computer? How exactly was stuff connected before and what exact make/model old receiver did you have? What make/model/OS old computer did you have? (A Mac by any chance?).

Pro Tools can only directly send audio to whatever it's PlayBack Engine is, which if it's the MBox 3 it will have no idea there is a receiver or able to send any audio to it directly. So either the receiver before was connected to the computer via USB (but not many support this) and you likely had something like ASIO4ALL installed (if the old computer was running Windows), or you had some sort of outboard connection either analog or S/PDIF from the Mbox to the receiver.