Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Default How to set Playback Engine

System:
Asus CG5270
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @2.50GHz
8gb of RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

PT 8.0.3
002Rack

Just wondering how I should optimize PT for best performance. I butchered the last thread I started on this with a bad attitude, so again, I apologize.

Where should I set the buffer size? Should I use all processors? What should I set CPU limit at? Etc..

A link to a video relevant to my system would be awesome as well. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Re: How to set Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
System:
Asus CG5270
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @2.50GHz
8gb of RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

PT 8.0.3
002Rack

Just wondering how I should optimize PT for best performance. I butchered the last thread I started on this with a bad attitude, so again, I apologize.

Where should I set the buffer size? Should I use all processors? What should I set CPU limit at? Etc..

A link to a video relevant to my system would be awesome as well. Thanks!
It's likely that there's not a video relative to your system. Just generic places to start. There are MANY variables on what is going to work on your system and what is not. But try the following:

Set playback buffer to 1024 (to start)
Set processors to 3 @ 85%

See if that works and is stable... then increase the processor usage to 95% or so and then start dropping the buffer.

Leave your cache, etc.. set to default settings for now.

Find a stable place for your system then begin improving the performance from there. A lot of it will be trial and error and will depend on how you have your system set up... BIOS settings, OS settings, peripherals, etc...

You're not going to find a magic button to push and make it work.. PT will need to be 'tuned' to your rig.

Finally, You are using Win7 64bit. Be prepared for it not to work. Some folks are getting it to work OK, most are not.

Good luck!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the response.

I guess a more important question would be, what exactly do these things do so I can proceed to tweak them?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
It's likely that there's not a video relative to your system. Just generic places to start. There are MANY variables on what is going to work on your system and what is not. But try the following:

Set playback buffer to 1024 (to start)
Set processors to 3 @ 85%

See if that works and is stable... then increase the processor usage to 95% or so and then start dropping the buffer.

Leave your cache, etc.. set to default settings for now.

Find a stable place for your system then begin improving the performance from there. A lot of it will be trial and error and will depend on how you have your system set up... BIOS settings, OS settings, peripherals, etc...

You're not going to find a magic button to push and make it work.. PT will need to be 'tuned' to your rig.

Finally, You are using Win7 64bit. Be prepared for it not to work. Some folks are getting it to work OK, most are not.

Good luck!
I have it set to 4 RTAS and 90% usage i think. Is it really not recommendable to use 4 RTAS processors?
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 12-24-2009, 02:56 AM

When I was using a quad I got better results from using 3. I'm using a i7 now and have it set to 7.

The logic that was explained to me was that the computer still needs some underlying functioning to go on in order to make everything happen. If everything is set to RTAS and you are particularly loaded up, it will have to pause one of those functions in order to facilitate the underlying need.. thereby giving you and error because of the break in RTAS functioning.. (or noise of some sort).

The plain-Jane answer is.. it just works better for some folks. if you aren't having problems don't worry about it. If you increase the amount of RTAS processing you do, then you will likely start to see errors happening.

When you are in the process of being creative, a safe system is MUCH preferred over an 'edgy' one.

Merry Christmas!

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-24-2009, 03:27 AM

Not all RTAS plugs are fully RTAS compliant. Running one processor down from the Max leaves one whole core to process the non compliant code.

Normally if all your plugs are up to date you can run at 4 cores and 90% or so. It only takes one bad plug to bring things down though. This is a relatively common issue with some NI plugs.

The lower the hardware buffer the more responsive the system is but the harder it has to work.

As stated above I would start at 3 cores and about 85% and then lower the buffer. If it runs smooth at a buffer of 64 try 3 cores and 95%. If that runs good you might try 4 cores and 80%.

The idea is to run the smallest buffer you can.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-24-2009, 03:36 AM

hmm... im going to try this too... Now besides like.. a Dverb test.. would you just need to do real world testing for the stability you are talking about? what do you do in Pro tools to Test you current "Tune"?
Old 12-24-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
The idea is to run the smallest buffer you can.

Yep, I got that bit wrong...

I was busy making a fruit compote for some custard-berry tarts we are having tomorrow..

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
When I was using a quad I got better results from using 3. I'm using a i7 now and have it set to 7.

The logic that was explained to me was that the computer still needs some underlying functioning to go on in order to make everything happen. If everything is set to RTAS and you are particularly loaded up, it will have to pause one of those functions in order to facilitate the underlying need.. thereby giving you and error because of the break in RTAS functioning.. (or noise of some sort).

The plain-Jane answer is.. it just works better for some folks. if you aren't having problems don't worry about it. If you increase the amount of RTAS processing you do, then you will likely start to see errors happening.

When you are in the process of being creative, a safe system is MUCH preferred over an 'edgy' one.

Merry Christmas!
Dual i7 system i assume?
8 cores comes from 2 Quad i7 processors, or am i missing something.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critza View Post
Dual i7 system i assume?
8 cores comes from 2 Quad i7 processors, or am i missing something.
i7 has 4 cores with Hyper Threading, which shows up as logical threads in Windows/ Pro Tools. So in essence he is leaving 1 thread open for Windows tasks.