Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2001, 09:59 PM

Default Pro Tools 5.1Magic ID crap

I've hit some serious issues transporting a Pro Tools 5.1 session from one system to another via hot-pluggable hard drives.

We're working on a 5.1cs2 MIXplus with a DataSilo, transferred the session we recorded today to a known-to-be-reliable Quantum 4.3 GB UW in a DataSilo, took that drive to another MIXplus running 5.1cs2 and failed to open the session off the Quantum. We kept getting different errors, with loads of inconsistency. Errors included: End of file reached, Couldn't open session because Magic ID was incorrect, Failed to transfer tracks.

We tried importing the tracks from the session to a newly created session and only managed to crash to the Finder each time.

On top of that, we took the drive to another MIXplus running 5.1cs2 and still got the same errors.

What can be done to turn off this lame Magic ID "feature"? Why can't Pro Tools do REAL checksumming?

How do I get around this issue? This problem cost us several hours and several hundred dollars.

Digi?

------------------

Jory
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Jory (edited March 13, 2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 5.1Magic ID crap

Okay, upon more research, something is definitely weird between the different SCSI setups. I took the drive back to Mix C (the data had been transferred at Mix A, and the problems were occurring at a client's site on both of his MIXplus systems) and all was very happy and worked beautifully.

Obviously, something is at issue with the client's SCSI buss. Besides not being able to open the session, we noticed, when auditioning the sound files, a mechanical noise on the outputs. This noise is definitely not present on the sound files as has been verified in Mix A and Mix C.

We are all using ATTO SCSI cards of one flavor or another. Mix A has an ExpressPCI PSC and Mix C has an ExpressPCI UL3D. I'm not sure which exact model the client is using.

We all have StorCase DataSilos. Mix A is using all UW DataSilo parts. Mix C is using all Ultra160 parts, with the exception of this particular drive which is UW and is in a UW carrier (although being inserted into an Ultra160 receiver). I'm not sure what DataSilo hardware is in the client's machine, but I believe it is Ultra160.

Does anyone have any ideas why we are having such issues?

------------------

Jory
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Jory (edited March 13, 2001).]