Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Cabling question

Hello I just purchased a Pro Tools HD3 with a Control 24 set-up with a G5 Quad moving up from a Digi 002.

Now I will begin trying to set up my system and I was wondering if I could get some advice from some of you experts in regards to cabling.

What cables will I need going into the patch bay and out of the patch bay? snakes and how many channel ? balanced ? unbalanced ?

I will have 2 Signex 48 point patchbays, 9 Keyboards, 2 Synth Modules and 1 external efx piece, and a Focusrite ISA 220 Mic Pre Amp with a digital out.

Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Swayne
Old 12-26-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Cabling question

Only you know how you want this stuff connected together for what you want and need.

Just to be organized and to be sure that you get what you need...you should draw a plan for your installation.

I would start with a single line drawing of your desired set-up. On a piece of paper (or in CAD) draw a square for each piece of equipment that you have with lines at the edge of each box for inputs and outputs.

in the center of the page draw your patch bay. Draw lines (in pencil) from each input and output of your equipment to your patch bay, and don't forget your PT I/O. (you did not say how much I/O you have...) You will probably want to Normal certain connections to and from your I/O. Using patch normalling will help with connecting things that you always want connected and will save on wire and connector costs while giving you patching flexibility.

At this point you need to number each connection. for example, keyboard outputs can be : wire # K101-K120.
I/O analog inputs can be A101-116, whatever.. these wire numbers will end up at the patch bay or other pieces of equipment (in other words, at both ends of the wire) and will help in tracing signal flow as you figure this out.

Eventually you can end up with a professional looking wirelist, and I would put that in Excel.
For example, your column headings could read....Wire #, Source, (keyboard #1 out L for example), Conn type, (1/4" St plug), Location (jack row 1 jack 1), Destination (192 ch # in), Conn type (if 192, d-sub) .

This exercise will help you think of SIGNAL FLOW. In other words, How do you want this installation to work, act, feel?

Going between unbalanced and balanced can be done with interface boxes that match levels, but there can be times when you do not need to spend that money. It will depend on how you want to use this stuff and if other people will be using your set-up.
It will also greatly affect your grounding scheme, so check out some equipment manuals which are usually a good source of info for connecting stuff together.

Here is a simple example. :Keyboard #1 output 1 to patch bay top row jack #1. (this will normal down to patch bay bottom row jack #1 which is (you guessed it) connected to your 192 I/O channel one (or whatever channel works for you).

You could also normal your 192 I/O ch 1 and 2 to your monitor inputs, for example.

At the end of this exercise you will have an installation design and a wirelist that will tell you what your exact needs are in terms of wire and connectors.

Sorry if I am rambling.....hope this qives you some ideas.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I am rambling.....hope this qives you some ideas.
Much more than rambling. . . all excellent advice.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:57 AM

spend the money on high quality cables...no hosa type stuff.

I couldn't believe the difference when I went all moogami and monster. i really like monster's keyboard cable and it sounds great on guitars as well.

same dramatic results on mic and speaker cable. can't stress enough how important this is.

do it right the first time as it is cheaper in the long run.

ej