Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2002, 02:16 PM

Default PT sessions or DA88 for Dolby Digital Print Masters?

We were recently authorized by Dolby to do Dolby Digital mixes and PrintMasters for cinema productions.
However, we do not have the Dolby encoder or Dolby MO recorder, so we have to send our Print Masters to bigger Dolby studios abroad (we are in Colombia) to do the Dolby MO.

Is it worth to buy a used TimeCode DA88 just for that purpose (copy the final mix to a re-recording facility compatible format)?. Or do most re-recording rooms have ProTools there so I just send them my PT print masters in a CD or DVD with the sound files and they do the MOD?

Most of the material I would send would be film commercials, but I can not always work with the same re-recording studio, since ad agencies always want to go somewhere different.

The DA88 seems to me like a dying format, but I am not sure if it is going to remain alive in the film world. I have a friend's DA88 in the studio, but I have decide soon if I buy it or not.

Thank you,

Ricardo
Old 06-26-2002, 04:36 PM

Default Re: PT sessions or DA88 for Dolby Digital Print Masters?

bump
Old 06-26-2002, 04:52 PM

Ricardo,
As you said, DA88 seems to be the standard, and it will probably remain, for some time. Everybody is exchanging print masters and M&E mixes through DTRS tapes, as there are really no alternatives, especially when you look at the prices. Your idea with PT sessions seems reasonable, but I'm afraid it won't be accepted for some time.
Branko
Old 06-26-2002, 05:01 PM

DA-88 for sure. Also, you can pick up good deals on DA-88's on Ebay

Living the dream.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:08 PM

Hola Ricardo, si es conveniente tener la máquina, precisamente porque las agencias a veces quieren masterizar en un estudio, a veces en otro. Compra una DA-88 con su interfase digital IF88-AE y utiliza una USD para amarrar la máquina. Si necesitas varias cintas sólo formateas todas con el mismo código y ya. Si deseas aquí en México nos puedes enviar un CD-R, DVD, disco Firewire Externo, Exabyte con sesión de Fairlight o bien una o varias cintas de DA-88 podemos hacer tu master en MO, imprimir tu óptico, hacer tu copia compuesta e incluso hacer tu transfer de cine a video.
Si piensas hacer mucho trabajo de este tipo si vas a requerir la máquina pues es una especie de formato estándar.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:49 PM

but the DA88 is 16bit!!!!!!!!!
I imagine DA98 is 24bit
???

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:26 AM

DA-78HR and DA-98HR is 24 bit. And yes it is a better investment if you're into DTRS.

My opinion.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 06-28-2002, 12:22 AM

Actually, Most places will take almost anything these days-Da-88/98, PT Hard drive (MMR-8 compatible), MO Disk (again, MMr-8 Compat PT Files). The Important thing is to make sure your speeds are listed, along with tc rate, sample rate, track config. Also, Ricardo you mentioned not having a Dolby MO recorder, Which basically creates the AC-3 stream, creates a Lt.Rt., SR encodes the Lt.Rt., and limits the Lt.Rt. to +12dB over 0Vu (peak), so that the optical can be directly shot from it without any processing. This is an important distinction to be made, because if you are truly "Printmastering" then this is part of the process...and not to be confused with merely delivering a 5.1 mix on a DA-88.
-Todd A.