Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-17-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Power harness caught up, save my CD recording

I had a four hour session which was supposed to be 10 hours today.
I have another day left.
How can I find a temporary solution to what I think is a power harness problem?

Digi002 keeps losing connection with the computer which is an approved Allenstein with AMD 3700+.

I am recording with Matt Wilson on drums, Eric Person on Sax and Joe Fonda on Bass.

These guy charge me a lot for my CD recording.
I have already lost half a day.
I need to save tomorrow to come up with a quick solution.
No time to wait for Digi to send me a new harness.

First of all, I keep getting Cannot communicate with hardware errors and only the mute button is lit.
1394, and 44.1Khz buttons go out.
It let me record 4 hours and then this.
Is this power harness?
If it is, how can I quick fix.
I can not wait for harness replacement.
If I can not, I have to go buy another hardware solution in the morning and be d one with digi may be.
It's Christimas rush and I do not even know what to buy to get started immidieately.

Please help ...
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 12-17-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Power harness caught up, save my CD recording

Take the cover off & unplug the power harness, clean the pins with a pencil eraser. Often just unplugging & reconnecting the harness will do the job. Good luck.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 12-18-2005, 03:57 AM

Thanks...

I will do that and I am hoping that this will fix it.

A friend of mine says he has Digi002 power harness replacement package.
I will go there this morning and and get that.
Is the power harness the same for 002 and 002R?
I have 002R.

I could easily write 20 pages of why this should not have happened but I do not have the time.
I can not believe Digi left me with praying and hoping for one of the most important days in my career.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 12-18-2005, 06:24 AM

Yavuz,
FIRST..I'm feeling your frustration, trust me. If that harness swap doesn't work out get on the phone to Music Rental, Gear for Hire, etc.. places and try to rent an 002.
Now a friendly advice ( without being harsh, trust me.. )
You have been on the DUC for a while. You must have seen this issue popping up quite frequently.
If this is " the most important days in my career." ..honestly..you weren't prepared for it. Always have at least one backup system for these occasions.
I'm luckily recording with a lot of great musicians, most are high $$$ cats. I would never rely on one single device, specially if it's associated with computers. If my Mac/HDAccel fails..Fostex D2424..and that blows up..the old ADATS are ready with tapes formatted.

Again,,I sincerely wish and hope that your session will turn out great !
cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-18-2005, 07:51 AM

Yav,

First, I am 100% convinced that the "Failure to Connect" issue is unrelated to the powerharness if the hardware is showing none of the other signs of failure, such as blinking lights, failure to power-on, etc. I am going on my 5th powerharness and have experienced the "Fail to connect" 100's and 100's of times. However, I also use Cubase and the 002 as my soundcard. I have NEVER had the "Failure to Connect" issue when using cubase and the 002, unless those other "tells" were present. NEVER. It only happens when opening PTLE. So, in your case, this may not be the reason you are getting this error. I am certain you have tried all common sense things like unplugging the firewire cable from your 002 and reconnecting, and rebooting.

Lastly, I think it is incredibly egotistical for someone to tell you that you should have been better prepared for this very important recording session and the most important days in your musical career. So easy for others to point to you as a contributing factor in this problem when in fact a device you pay for should operate without error, especially when there was a known issue. If Digi truly had a solution to the harness problem, they would recall the 002/002r or send everyone a new powerharness. The crux of it is that they are not confident in the new harness, for it they were, they would send everyone a new "cannot fail" piece and make this VERY public issue go away.

In my opinon, you have absolutely NO reason to think you "should have been better prepared" for the most important days of your carrer and for someone, (anyone) to tell you that, is simply wrong.

My (tiny) 2cents.

Joel DuBay
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 12-18-2005, 08:12 AM

Joel ,
It's not the right thread to enter into an argument re; who is right or wrong.
I totally feel sympatethic and share the frustration of Yavuz, as I've pointed it out above.
I've also suggested for him to get another box if possible for today's session.
I've helped out a local fellow here once with the same power harness problem, in the middle of his session..No, I don't think the " incredibly egotistical " remark applies here
And yes..I understand that you have had your share of crap with the harness too..
But I'm asking you this..if today was the "BIG" date in your studio, would you trust your luck in that 002 ?
I.. and I'm willing to bet most other pro users here wouldn't.
there...
take care,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-18-2005, 08:28 AM

Yes, for me, having had the power harness issue in the past, yes, I would have had backup. That is fair for me to address. However, Yav has not had this issue in the past and has every reason to believe "his" 002r would and SHOULD work properly. Further, it is absolutely uderstandable that this is something he would not and should not have to consider if Digi truly did fix the problem.
Lastly, I think the goal here was to offer suggestions on how he might be able to work around the current problem and I believe you made some good and reasonable suggestions. However, I do not see how telling him that he should have been better prepared (in your opinion) was helpful or useful. If it is helpful or useful, I fail to see how. I think it is obvious that Yaz's issue could not be helped by this. In hindsight, wouldn't you agree?

Joel
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 12-18-2005, 08:41 AM

Right then...
I should have omitted the "friendly advice" paragraph...
OTOH..it might help out some other unlucky victims of the bad harness in the future...
Again Yavuz >> hope it all turns out well for you..

cheers all,

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-18-2005, 08:58 AM

THIS IS WHY i SOLD MY 002 RACK AND WENT TO THE M BOX.I know I lost alot of inputs but didnt want to risk it .
Murphys law as far as the timing of your problem.
Good luck!
Old 12-18-2005, 03:36 PM

I think advise on backup systems of any kind is always useful, IMO.

Yav, let us know how you made out...

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation