Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-21-2022, 05:26 AM

Default HDX issues moving from Mac Pro 6,1 to M1 MacBook Pro?

hey there,

any busy pros here successfully made the transition from a 6,1 Mac Pro to a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro?

I am currently mulling whether to try running my full rig from a laptop in clamshell mode - would be connecting a McDSP APB16, UAD Satellite Thunderbolt Octo, a Thunderbay 4 HD bay and an HDX card in an Avid Thunderbolt enclosure, via a CalDigit dock. Plus internet and a Trinnov connected via Ethernet.

Despite having given me good service, my 8-core trashcan is struggling a bit with larger sessions at higher sample rates, despite the increase in efficiency that the Hybrid Engine gave us last year.

Anyone made a similar transition and have any experiences to share? My other option is to buy my last ever Intel Mac in the form of a 16 core Mac Pro which I know will just work and should be supported for 4 years or so, but the temptation of getting nearly the same performance + mobility for half the price is strong!

Any thoughts?

very best,
Ewan

MacPro 6,1 8 core, 64gig, Pro Tools 2022.6, HDX via Avid Thunderbolt Chassis, Orion 32HD

Ewan Pearson
Production, Mixing, Remixing
www.ewanpearson.com
Old 07-21-2022, 11:38 AM

Default Re: HDX issues moving from Mac Pro 6,1 to M1 MacBook Pro?

Hi Ewan,

You'd be wise to first stick a free app called Macs fan control on your Mac pro and set fans to 1500rpm.

It will keep everything running much cooler and so your machine will run better.

Could save you ££££
Old 07-22-2022, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanp View Post
hey there,

any busy pros here successfully made the transition from a 6,1 Mac Pro to a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro?

I am currently mulling whether to try running my full rig from a laptop in clamshell mode - would be connecting a McDSP APB16, UAD Satellite Thunderbolt Octo, a Thunderbay 4 HD bay and an HDX card in an Avid Thunderbolt enclosure, via a CalDigit dock. Plus internet and a Trinnov connected via Ethernet.

Despite having given me good service, my 8-core trashcan is struggling a bit with larger sessions at higher sample rates, despite the increase in efficiency that the Hybrid Engine gave us last year.

Anyone made a similar transition and have any experiences to share? My other option is to buy my last ever Intel Mac in the form of a 16 core Mac Pro which I know will just work and should be supported for 4 years or so, but the temptation of getting nearly the same performance + mobility for half the price is strong!

Any thoughts?

very best,
Ewan

MacPro 6,1 8 core, 64gig, Pro Tools 2022.6, HDX via Avid Thunderbolt Chassis, Orion 32HD

Ewan Pearson
Production, Mixing, Remixing
www.ewanpearson.com
I can't answer your question directly, I'm not an HDX user, nor do I run a commercial studio. But I do have both the machines in question (Mac Pro 7.1 16-core and MBP M1 Max) and can tell you two things.
Firstly, for practical purposes, the processing power is about the same. Some variability in performance across different applications, but they benchmark very similarly and the real-world performance seems to reflect this.
Secondly, if I was running a commercial studio, I'd definitely keep the 7.1. As well as much better proven reliability with external devices (and you have plenty of those), I've kept it on Catalina for the specific ability to be able to easily clone the boot drive (to an external drive) and then boot from the external without fuss. The value of being back up and running in 5-10 mins in the even of a boot drive failure is very valuable in general.
I guess the only other point is that the MBP uses about 6 watts at idle and 20-30 if you push it, whereas the 7.1 uses 90w minimum and 150+ under pressure, so the electricity costs are significant (about £250 p.a. vs £25) but that's a business cost if you're running a studio.

You should be able to pick up a 7.1 now at about 40-50% discount. When I've tried to sell mine I've found very little interest (as well as the usual eBay misery). It will keep working until it doesn't.

Dominic
Old 07-24-2022, 03:39 AM

I agree with you completely Dominic!

Yes eBay is a misery, do avoid where you can. Good for buying but not for selling I'm afraid.

Keep your 7,1 machines they're absolutely brilliant and pro for a reason!
Old 08-01-2022, 04:22 AM

thanks so much for the feedback, Dominic. Wallet is pushing me in the direction of the laptop but I actually want the tower and to not have to think about compatibility at all.... It is my living and I'm busy, thankfully. Maybe looking for a used one is the way to go.

very best,
Ewan
Old 08-01-2022, 05:00 AM

The OP has a Trashcan 6.1 and not a 7.1 which is a HUGE difference

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-01-2022, 05:08 AM

I made a similar jump from a 5,1 cheese grater MacPro to a 16" M1PRO MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is an improvement in pretty much every way that I could measure. I can handle larger sessions more smoothly, less stress on the CPU and this is all running Rosetta 2!

I ultimately replaced the MacBook Pro with a Mac studio because I needed the MacBook Pro for other applications. Super sweet machine, runs beautifully!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS