How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-02-2022, 12:20 PM

Default After installing waves demo I get Assertion 241, please advise

Hi everyone at DUC

This is not a rant, but a list of things I already did lol
After installing waves plugins I was demo-ing I started getting this error and could no longer load plugins.

So i went through all the hoops such as un installing, restarting, re installing, trashing the prefs, changing the playback engine...blah blah, I removed waves, even removed all my previous plugins (PLUGIN ALLIANCE MEGA BUNDLE, SSL Native plugs and more) but I still get this error when trying to load plugins.. all the methods including updating PT today failed.

I looked through the threads and I don't see a whole lot matching a MacBook Air m1 running Ventura.

please advise
Cheers

Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2022/r3/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Sys/MacOS/Sys_FileLocMacOS.cpp", line 241.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:12 PM

Default Re: After installing waves demo I get Assertion 241, please advise

What version of Pro Tools are you running?

Great that you list what you tried, Uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools is almost certainly a waste of time. I have no idea why folks keep wanting to do that. (maybe it's the very last thing to try)... but the good thing with ASSERTS is there are often very specific existing things to try based on past user problems.

Did you search for this ASSERT error? There are many posts out there discussing this-- did you try any things mentioned specifically there?

If you searched did you find the KB article... (which may not fix it but try).

Is your documents/desktop on Apple iCloud? ... don't do that.

And you did *not* get "Assertion 241" (there is no such thing) you got an assertion in the source file "Sys_FileLocMacOS.cpp". The 241 is a line number that the ASSERT macro happened to be on in that build, and the line number is the least useful thing to worry about as it may change between builds and if you include that in searches you may miss many useful results. So the advice repeated here a lot is just to google the error message, focusing on the file name.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22S...ocMacOS.cpp%22

or for DUC only results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22S...3Aduc.avid.com

Or Avid KB

https://www.avid.com/search#q=Sys_Fi...sort=relevancy

Again start by ignore the line numbers in any of these posts.

I've explained on DUC many times what an ASSERT is, you can search for that as well if interested.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-02-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:19 PM

thank you for the reply,

I did mention updating to the latest pro tools studio with a Macbook air m1 16GB ram running on Ventura.

I did searching here, no direct info about this behaviour in Ventura or due to WAVES plugins which I totally suspect are the culprit.

I noticed that this error has been around for some time, one would assume it has been solved, I found a few other tips which I mentioned but nothing worked and there seems to be no real detail info about un installing Pro Tools Studio.

Any advise appreciated
Old 11-02-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystudios View Post
thank you for the reply,

I did mention updating to the latest pro tools studio with a Macbook air m1 16GB ram running on Ventura.

I did searching here, no direct info about this behaviour in Ventura or due to WAVES plugins which I totally suspect are the culprit.

I noticed that this error has been around for some time, one would assume it has been solved, I found a few other tips which I mentioned but nothing worked and there seems to be no real detail info about un installing Pro Tools Studio.

Any advise appreciated
If I was aware of an issue in Ventura/apple silicon related to this I'd let you know. And other folks here who notice this thread would as well. (next time you might get more visibility for questions like that by titling the thread "Assert blah on Ventura on M1". But don't create a new thread now. Do you have a Monterey install you can test on? (the good news on Ventura is it's not a hugely invasive upgrade compared to other recent macOS updates, well so far, maybe you've found something).

Try backing up a bit and try other solution not specific to Ventura or Waves. Asserts tend to get put in the code by developers at major points where things might go wrong, they can have causes that last on for a while, or seemingly stuff that fixes some problems but not others... you should try them out, not assume it's only related to Ventura or hope somebody will know exactly a fix for your situation--they might but I've not noticed it being seen by others. And OTOH Avid seems slow about taking know assert causes and promoting them to plain error messages that would be more directly helpful... so we are all kinda left trying the pool of known related fixes/work arounds but at least that's usually quick to see if they work... and then if stuck it's maybe best to escalate to Avid support or Waves support. Often the plugin vendor support is a better place to start... they tend to hear about any version compatibility problems fast (and quite often they can fix any causes in their code).

This assert tends to clusters around file permissions/session issues which is why checking file permissions, making sure you are not using iCloud or cloud storage turns up repeatedly. And plugin code does get involved in writing to the session file, which is how this can tie together. And worse case you have a badly errant/incompatible plugin that is just scribbling all over memory, even if not being used/instantiated, potentially corrupting memory internally that then causes this assert.

You've already had a good go at standard troubleshooting, esp. trashing prefs, I'd also try creating a new admin account and testing from there. Spend time rereading those assert posts and try anything suggested there, And if still stuck I'd ping Waves support. You could also say try pulling out all the waves plugin files, leave on and the waves shell and see if that has the same problems... I expect waves support to have you try stuff like that.
files
Old 11-28-2022, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If I was aware of an issue in Ventura/apple silicon related to this I'd let you know. And other folks here who notice this thread would as well. (next time you might get more visibility for questions like that by titling the thread "Assert blah on Ventura on M1". But don't create a new thread now. Do you have a Monterey install you can test on? (the good news on Ventura is it's not a hugely invasive upgrade compared to other recent macOS updates, well so far, maybe you've found something).

Try backing up a bit and try other solution not specific to Ventura or Waves. Asserts tend to get put in the code by developers at major points where things might go wrong, they can have causes that last on for a while, or seemingly stuff that fixes some problems but not others... you should try them out, not assume it's only related to Ventura or hope somebody will know exactly a fix for your situation--they might but I've not noticed it being seen by others. And OTOH Avid seems slow about taking know assert causes and promoting them to plain error messages that would be more directly helpful... so we are all kinda left trying the pool of known related fixes/work arounds but at least that's usually quick to see if they work... and then if stuck it's maybe best to escalate to Avid support or Waves support. Often the plugin vendor support is a better place to start... they tend to hear about any version compatibility problems fast (and quite often they can fix any causes in their code).

This assert tends to clusters around file permissions/session issues which is why checking file permissions, making sure you are not using iCloud or cloud storage turns up repeatedly. And plugin code does get involved in writing to the session file, which is how this can tie together. And worse case you have a badly errant/incompatible plugin that is just scribbling all over memory, even if not being used/instantiated, potentially corrupting memory internally that then causes this assert.

You've already had a good go at standard troubleshooting, esp. trashing prefs, I'd also try creating a new admin account and testing from there. Spend time rereading those assert posts and try anything suggested there, And if still stuck I'd ping Waves support. You could also say try pulling out all the waves plugin files, leave on and the waves shell and see if that has the same problems... I expect waves support to have you try stuff like that.
files
hi, I placed a home folder on a external SSD and based on the structure that AVID uses to integrate themselves in your computer root etc the plugs will not load., as soon as I switch to the internal SSD home user it works..this is a bit concerning though cause AVID should is not an App Store developer so to have such access makes you wonder why.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystudios View Post
hi, I placed a home folder on a external SSD and based on the structure that AVID uses to integrate themselves in your computer root etc the plugs will not load., as soon as I switch to the internal SSD home user it works..this is a bit concerning though cause AVID should is not an App Store developer so to have such access makes you wonder why.
I cannot follow what you are saying at all here. Have you fixed the original problem?

Did you try moving an existing admin users home directory or did you create a new admin user? If the Pro Tools will not start up with this other user account I would expect you simply got something set up wrong. Especially there is key info read and written under ~/Library by Pro Tools, any of those files or directories with wrong ownership or permissions could potentially bork stuff. Did you try trashing prefs? You can try comparing Pro Tools log files between those that start and those that do not.