Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2000, 08:34 AM

Default Vocal Booth

Up until now we have had to track vocals in a 25'x 25'x 8' room. We don't like the sound we're getting out of this room for vocals. It would be nice if we could raise the ceiling, but that really isn't an option. So we've decided to cut into the room and build a Vocal booth.

Basically we're not sure what the demension's should be. How big do we want this thing. We want to get a real intimate sound from that room.

Any suggestions on the best way to get this done? Are there alternatives to a vocal booth that I haven't thought of?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2000, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Vocal Booth

If you are planning to spend the cash to put in a booth and don't need the separation during tracking, you might consider ASC's studio traps. They work great for surrounding a singer or instrument and let you use as much or as little of the space as you desire. They also sound great. Check them out at www.tubetrap.com.

Old 05-30-2000, 03:02 PM

Where the hell do you stash those things when you dont need em, also they look like they can all fall over wrecking gtrs etc, are they stable on their feet? how do they react to drunk persons?!
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 05-30-2000, 11:28 PM

I'm assuming you're doing vocal overdubs, not cutting with a live band, right? (that would indeed require a booth… and a completely different answer from this end…)

To get an intimate vocal in a large ambient room, I usually build a U-shaped "booth" from foam gobos (1' x 4' x 8' pieces) with the mic facing back into the U and the singer facing out of it. Or, you can drape packing blankets over elevated boom stands to create soft "walls" around the mic. Usually more room bleed comes into the sides of the mic than the front or back. Also some soft treatment to the ceiling just above the vocal area would help. (And Jules, the foam gobos make great beds for those drunk people… or exhausted engineers… to pass out!) Good luck!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 05-31-2000, 05:01 AM

Thanks!

That's great info. Until we get the room built I'll try a couple of those ideas. We do want to be able to track Vocals at the same time as the band (in some cases) as well as be able to use it for tracking acoustic guitar with a band. Also be able to use it as an amp room to isolate guitar amps if need be. So, Brian, if you could give me the "completely different answer" concerning a booth that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-31-2000, 01:06 PM

Jules,

I just line the walls with them, or add them to the Attack Wall (mixing station).

They don't have problems leaning from one side to the other, but the drunks usually knock them down. The good news is I had them Scotchgaurded...

Steve