Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 12:33 AM

Default HELP/Session Must be on an Audio Record Volume

I just purchased Pro-Tools LE7 and the Digidesign Mbox2. I installed the software and downloaded the update for Leopard. In addition, I used the Disk Utility to reformat my drive as Mac OS Extended. I followed the directions in the Getting Started Manual regarding starting a new session. I tried opening a new session and got the message "Session must be on an audio record volume. If permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "R" (record in the workspace)." So, I went to the workspace and tried to change the A columns to "R". I then got the message "Audio Drive 1 cannot be designated as an Audio Record Volume because it is not a valid audio volume." The external hard drive that I am using is a Western Digital FireWire My Book Studio Edition. Does any body have any suggestions?
Processor Speed: Dual 1.42 GHz
Number of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
M-Audio Products: Pro-Tools LE7 Version 7.4.2, Digidesign Mbox 2
External peripherals: FireWire hard drive (Western Digital My Book Studio Edition)
Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 AM

Go to that drive from the Finder and DELETE the Digidesign Database folder (do NOT have ProTools running when you do this). Restart PT and confirm the settings in the Workspace.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM

I tried what you had mentioned. I closed the program, opened the designated drive and deleted Digidesign Database folder. I restarted PT and tried changing the settings in the Workspace. It did not work. I then opened the designated drive and the Digidesign Database folder appeared again. Do I need to uninstall and then reinstall the software? When I first bought PT, I installed it. I then could could not open the program. I later found out that I needed to download the software online so that it will be compatible with OS 10.5.3. I uninstalled it (I'm sure I did it correctly) and installed the online downloadable version. I was then able to open it. Now, I can not change the settings to R in the Workspace...
External peripherals: FireWire hard drive (Western Digital My Book Studio Edition)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 AM

What kind of drive is the Western Digital? Is it a RAID, by chance? ProTools WILL NOT WORK with RAID drives, unless it's HARDWARE CONTROLLED and DAE can't tell.

As another option, if nothing else is on your external drive, reinitialize it and try again.

Otherwise, the re-install may do the trick. Deleting the databases on our HD systems usually solves it for us.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM

When deleting databases, make sure you also get the Databases folder located in Mac HD > Library > Application Support > Digidesign in addition to the Digidesign Databases folder(s). If that still doesn't work, I would suggest doing a clean uninstall, repair disk permissions, and then reinstall 7.4.2
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 AM

is the drive formatted for mac?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM

The Leopard OS should be 10.5.4 with Protools 7.4.2.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:48 AM

Alright, I finally got the thing working. For some reason, I was not able to update Leopard from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4. So, I reinstalled Mac OSX Leopard. I deleted pretty much everything on my Mac and started from scratch. I obviosly backed up everything that I needed. I was then able to update to 10.5.4. I am now able to change the Audio to record in the Workspace. In addition, I have more space on the system hard drive because I got rid of a lot of old files and software programs that I never use. Thanks for all the help