How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2022, 07:32 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2022 Update?

Yeah..it's depressing really tbh..
I'm considering getting a notation program, and as much as I'd like sibelius, I think all things considered I just can't be bothered dealing with avid again and might go dorico..
Old 04-06-2022, 07:51 PM

agreed. very sad. I think the thing that is most sad are the users like the person above who are so drunk on the avid coolaid that they don't realize that there are tons of things broken, and a ton of features that could be added...The be clear, the reason it's sad is because I love Pro Tools. I also love it when Avid implements features as I think they do a good job thinking through things and implementing things in a good way. Its because I love Pro Tools that I'm so frustrated with the development of it. All you have to do is watch any what's new video from any other DAW and you will see a ton of features that Avid should consider. Not flashy stuff. Very useful stuff. Why don't we have a monitor section for plugins? Why don't we have a way to set priority within elastic audio so that I can time correct within a group and have the snare always win over the toms? Other DAWs have it. but I think Avid could do it better. but we are still supposed to celebrate adding a few more color customizing options and the removal of handcuffs that Avid put on us...sad.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:53 PM

My thoughts are with the dev team themselves in this horrible situation, but this is a ‘chickens coming home to roost’ thing and should show Avid there’s a reason these areas have such cheap labor. By going along with relying on places like Ukraine for engineering, they are taking the risks that come with it in order to save money and not pay market rates for engineering staff. Hopefully this will show them it makes more sense to keep development close by.

“The average developer salary in Ukraine ranges between $2K and $5K a month.”

The (now not-so) hidden costs of outsourcing.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
My thoughts are with the dev team themselves in this horrible situation, but this is a ‘chickens coming home to roost’ thing and should show Avid there’s a reason these areas have such cheap labor. By going along with relying on places like Ukraine for engineering, they are taking the risks that come with it in order to save money and not pay market rates for engineering staff. Hopefully this will show them it makes more sense to keep development close by.

“The average developer salary in Ukraine ranges between $2K and $5K a month.”

The (now not-so) hidden costs of outsourcing.

Maybe the situation is as simple as your chickens are coming home to roost because you invest in a company that outsources?

"thoughts and prays... but where's my update".
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 04-06-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:17 PM

Agreed. It's terrible what is happening there. At the same time, I've now gone through 2 or 3 different development teams with Avid. Each time, we are told to not expect much as the new team plays catch up and learn how things are done. Around year 5 into development with the new team, right as we are supposed to be seeing "incredible" features, they change teams to something cheaper. Then the cycle starts all over again. It gets a bit tiring. The fault isn't with the cheap labor that Avid hires. The fault is with the strategy and implementation of Avid's team here in the US.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoemo View Post
Agreed. It's terrible what is happening there. At the same time, I've now gone through 2 or 3 different development teams with Avid. Each time, we are told to not expect much as the new team plays catch up and learn how things are done. Around year 5 into development with the new team, right as we are supposed to be seeing "incredible" features, they change teams to something cheaper. Then the cycle starts all over again. It gets a bit tiring. The fault isn't with the cheap labor that Avid hires. The fault is with the strategy and implementation of Avid's team here in the US.

Indeed. I reckon Avid management could undermine even the best developers in the world... whether they share the same office space or not.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post

Maybe the situation is as simple as your chickens are coming home to roost because you invest in a company that outsources?

"thoughts and prays... but where's my update".
I’m not anxious for the update - just wondering if Avid will rethink any part of their outsourcing strategy here.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:12 PM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

There are many many very talented software engineers here in USA. Apple, Google, Twitter, etc... are all US companies.

Avid is looking for the cheapest. Not the best.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I’m not anxious for the update - just wondering if Avid will rethink any part of their outsourcing strategy here.
What does outsourcing really have to do with it, though? Plenty of businesses outsource to the benefit of their customers... it seems Avid is just more focused on their shareholders.

Last edited by LDS; 04-06-2022 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:10 PM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
There are many many very talented software engineers here in USA. Apple, Google, Twitter, etc... are all US companies.

Avid is looking for the cheapest. Not the best.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
That isn't really the case though. Apple, Google and other Silicon Valley companies headhunt talented engineers from all around the world. Those three businesses alone that you mentioned have over $5 trillion in market capitalisation. Senior Engineers at Google can clear a whopping $1mil a year after bonuses and stock grants. It isn't a place that births talented engineers... it is a place renowned for birthing millionaires. That is why there is a concentration of talent there.

Avid's market cap just for the record is $1.5 billion.

It seems unadulteratedly jingoistic to believe that the issues Avid are having are caused by what isn't currently occurring in the USA... when really, the opposite is probably closer to true. Obviously the US based 'talent' they already have is pretty average...