Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 AM

Default New functions, making Pro Tools an even better DAW!

As you all know, Logic 8 is out and Apple looked carefully at Pro Tools with implementing (copying) new functions and even taking some to the next level. But it is also lacking in many other places.

Now In my humble opinion Pro Tools has a much more consistent workflow due to two great main windows and a very consistent philosophy. Though without a doubt both programs have their pros and cons, there are functions from Logic i would like to see in PT (and even more Logic users probably vice versa but that's for a Logic Forum). But i'd also like to see other functions that don't exist yet.

I don't want to start a Logic vs PT debate here, which is as useless as discussing which colour is nicer. It's all very subjective. Though you can have a constructive discussion on how functions and workflowin PT can improve and which functions we would like to see added. All of course with only one goal, to show Digidesign how to make PT an even better, more inspiring and complete program for composing, recording and mixing. Digi is definitely innovating as can be seen from the new Elastic Time function that is absolutely fueling inspiration and production.

Even though Christmas is behind us, here i want to present my wishlist for new Pro Tools functions in 2008.
[*]Make selections snap to transients on the fly with the selection tool. In PT it could be like snapping to analysis markers. Tab to Transient in PT is great but Logic 8 has taken it a little further.
[*]Showing multiple automation graphs below each other and maybe even selectable per kind and per plugin.
[*]Being able to see all takes from a loop recording underneath each other. A little triangle in a loop recording region would allow you to unfold all the takes making it easy to comp the takes.
[*]More tracks available for recording audio. 48 standard in LE and 64 for MPT buyers like me. Even though i wonder how many tracks with a couple of plugins really can be used reliably and rock steady on an Intel Mac or PC. I am very fortunate to have an 8 core Mac Pro. But how many tracks can really be used on an average Mac without running the machine to its limits? Logic has the ability for an unlimited number of tracks but how many people have actually created sessions with more than 48 tracks that each contained at least a number of good quality plugins like EQ and compression? If Logic can realistically run more tracks with plugins in practice then it's not the hardware that's lacking power and PT should be able to do it just as well.
[*]Being able to expand the number of hardware inputs and outputs for LE users. Like proper support for the M-Audio Lightbridge. What's up with that anyway Digi? Why support it under PT M-Powered but not under PT LE ?
[*]Midi plugins directly on the track exactly like any other plugin on any other track. I always reckoned Digi would have done it this way instead of the Real Time Parameters column they have now. It works great though don't get me wrong but it would have been so much more consistent user interface wise.
[*]More good quality plugins (reverb and delay) as part of the standard LE package.
[*]A freeze function is way overdue. Freezing the track with all its plugins is something that would free up cpu-power and streamline the workflow so much more. It would provide a way to work without interruption of the many annoying hardware buffer size errors when using cpu-intensive plugins while recording. To avoid patent infringement Digi could call it "Petrify track" and "Unpetrify track" or "Bounce selected in place" under the track menu. This would include all the plugins and automation in a new region plus it would automatically deactivate all plugins on the track. Now wouldn't that be great. The "Unpetrify track" function would place all the original regions back on the track and activate all the plugins again.
[*]A score track view option showing the notes on the track itself. Having the option to send to Sibelius is a very welcome addition (and also long overdue if you ask me) but having the scores on the track would be stunning and make use of the great PT workflow again.

Okay, i'm gonna stop now and allow you guys to contribute with some of your great ideas to fuel Digi's development of an even better Pro Tools.

Let's just hope Digi is taking notice!