Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Default Bug in Audiosuite processing stereo files in region bin 7.4

There appears to be a bug introduced in 7.4 (I'm on an HD rig, but I believe I've observed the same behaviour on a PTLE rig) in the handling of Audiosuite processes on stereo regions in the region bin, which makes batch processing of stereo files more cumbersome. Would appreciate confirmation from others.

In previous versions (up through 7.3.1cs5), you could select a split stereo file in the region bin, perform an audiosuite process on it with the "Playlist/Region List" selector set to "Region List", and you would get a split stereo file with the process name *pre-pended* to the final .L/.R suffix - this then behaved as a normal split stereo pair.

Now, in 7.4 (up to cs3), when you perform the same steps, you get *two* files with the process name appended to the file name *after* the .L/.R designation - this means that the files are no longer treated as a stereo pair.

Example: original split stereo is "Audio.L/Audio.R", it's selected in the region list and it is *not* on a track, and you're using the Audiosuite Gain plug-in with the "Region List/Playlist" selector set to "Region List", "Use in Region List" *not* selected.
In previous versions the result would be "Audio-Gain-00.L/Audio-Gain-00.R".
In 7.4 the result is "Audio.L-Gain-00 / Audio.R-Gain-00"

If the Audiosuite plug is used on a file on a track with the "Region List / Playlist" selector set to "Playlist" things behave normally.

Best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-11-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Bug in Audiosuite processing stereo files in region bin

As of 7.4cs6 this still doesn't appear to be fixed. It means that it's no longer possible to batch process stereo files in the region bin - this is a major drag if you need to batch process a pile of stereo files, you now have to drag them into a timeline and process one by one. Not fun!

Any word?

best,
rich

Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Avid

I feel your pain, Rich - this has been logged, but I do not have a specific timeline for a fix. If I do happen to hear anything, I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Great - really appreciate the update. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this happens soon.

best,
rich

Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM

So is this *ever* going to get fixed?? I had assumed it would be worked out by 7.4.2, but alas, it's still with us. Had to batch process 30 mixes today - not fun...

best,
rich

Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Avid

Looks like it's fixed in Pro Tools 8.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
you now have to drag them into a timeline and process one by one. Not fun!
You can process them at once in the timeline if you set to "create individual files" instead of "create continuous file".

Hope it helps,
Timothy
Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_davies View Post
You can process them at once in the timeline if you set to "create individual files" instead of "create continuous file".

Hope it helps,
Timothy
Thanks, but I believe if you do that, processes which use linked dynamics processing between left and right channels (such as stereo compression), become unlinked and process on a per-channel (i.e. mono) basis. Not good for my application.

best,
rich

Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM

I don't think so.
What it does:
If you have 5 stereo regions in your timeline selected, it applies the audiosuite setting to each region and creates 5 new processed regions, instead of 1 long coninuous region (audiosuite set to playlist). And Pro Tools will keep these regions as stereo files in the bin after processing. It does here anyway.

Hope it helps,
Timothy
Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_davies View Post
I don't think so.
What it does:
If you have 5 stereo regions in your timeline selected, it applies the audiosuite setting to each region and creates 5 new processed regions, instead of 1 long coninuous region (audiosuite set to playlist). And Pro Tools will keep these regions as stereo files in the bin after processing. It does here anyway.

Hope it helps,
Timothy
Yes, but if you look more carefully, there's a crucial problem with this - the *processing* is not stereo-linked - i.e., in a stereo dynamics process where you want the processing linked between the two channels, in the workflow you're suggesting, the audiosuite plug processes on a per-channel basis - stereo linking is no longer available, and imaging suffers. If you use a plug that has a "stereo" or "Multi-input" processing mode (for example L2), you'll see that this option is no longer available when "create individual files" is selected.

Region processing from the bin was previously the only way to maintain stereo processing linkage while batch processing stereo files - this is no longer possible and must be done on stereo files one at a time in the timeline now.

best,
rich