Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2001, 08:29 PM

Default DC-30+, OS 9.2, Premiere 6.0, QT 5.x

OK, I know this is a video question, but since most folks doing serious video have moved beyond the aging DC-30+, I thought this might be a good forum to pose this question (since lots of PT owners are still using this card).

Has anybody experimented with using Premiere 6.0 with the DC-30+? The Adobe website says it isn't approved (does this just mean untested?).

Any success or lack thereof?

I'm also farily certain that Version 2.0 will be the last drivers we'll see from Miro.

What's the bottom line? Is Premiere 6.0 good to go, or should I just park things at 5.1c?

Also, I know PT 5.1.1 comes with QT 4.2.1, but I've been doing a little testing with QT 5.x (only in Premiere so far), and it looks like it works fine.

Are there any PT (or Logic) incompatibilities with QT 5?

Lee Blaske
Old 08-16-2001, 09:59 AM

Default Re: DC-30+, OS 9.2, Premiere 6.0, QT 5.x

QT5 is perfectly fine with PTs, and is much enhanced for QT experiences outside of PTs. (What do you mean you don't do anything other than work?)
In regard to Premiere what would you get from version 6 that 5.1c doesn't give?
Old 08-16-2001, 10:18 AM

Premiere 6 is a big update to 5.1c. Just the audio subsystem..now..with meters..and a automated mixer (designed by no less than Digi)..is worth the price. It handles larger projects, and files, much better and has added integration with photoshop, illus, and after effects.

The fuse is not listed as supported either but works just fine in Premiere 6. All I had to do was copy over my fuse "presets" from the Premiere 5 folder to the 6 folder. Everything works great.

I know that pinnacle has a slightly different setup..in that it uses a "seperate" capture utility.

Here's what I would say..first..YES..its worth upgrading if you can to 6. The way to do it..is to download the "demo" from Adobe..and transfer your Pinnacle presets..or plugins..etc..from 5.1 to the corresponding 6 folders and give it a whirl.

I suspect it will work. But..thats the way to check first before you buy.

Further..in case your interested..I picked up the premiere 6 upgrade and the FULL version of After effects 4.1..for 549! They have specials on Adobes site. They have further upgrades to Aftereffects 5 production bundle for another 500. As a reference..AfterEffects 4.1 standalone lists for 649. Premiere6 upgrade is about 149 bucks. And the AE production bundle lists for 1395! Normally..the Porduction bundle upgrade is around 900 bucks.

dcornutt
Old 08-16-2001, 10:36 AM

I am using Premiere 6 with the MIRO DC 30+ I have digitized and played back in PT. It works fine. I have had no problem since Premiere 5.1c and I continue to use the older 1.21 Miro driver. I have had problems with newer drivers. This version however doesn't solve the issue I have always had with the MIRO and that is that when I digitize I usually get one or two dropped frames. I sometimes have to digitize several times to get a clean clip. This may actually be due to the fact that I digitize from a consumer deck with no time code (only window burn) and no black burst on the deck. I plan in the future to use the triick of routing my black into the VHS line in
I do use a USD though. When I finally get a clean version it works totally smooth in PT. My usual size is 320 x 240 with a data rate of less than 1K.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:59 AM

Mark

I'm using a DC-30+ (1.2.1), Premiere 5.1c, and a consumer VHS deck. The deck has no time code or black - just a window burn, and I never drop any frames. The only time I experience one or two dropped frames is when I stop tape before I stop capture, or start capture before I start tape. I think the one or two frames you drop is a result of an abrupt start or stop in the capture.

mike
Old 08-16-2001, 11:07 AM

I've had no problems with the following setup:

PT 5.01 24 mix
G4/466 running 9.1
Miro DC30+ w/ driver 2.0
Premiere 6
internal ATA drives 30 and 90 gig

even using external UW drives with the old Adaptec 2940uw card. Although you can't record to them.

doing a feature film with this method with little to no hassles.

mixt
Old 08-16-2001, 01:00 PM

I find the capture in Premiere 6 to work better and be more reliable ..esp with larger files. There were quite a lot of bug fixes between 5.1c and 6.0. If Premiere 5.1c capture works fine for your purposes..you don't have dropped frame problems..or crashes..or sync issues..and you don't use PRemiere for anything other than capture.then..yes..not much need to upgrade.

Premeire 5.1 was always a little flakey for me. 6 seems a lot more solid, for everything.

The other big change from 5.1 to 6 was the addition of being realtime capable. Which..is also something you wont' use unless you are editing.

dcornutt
Old 08-17-2001, 12:03 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dcornutt:
Premiere 6 is a big update to 5.1c. Just the audio subsystem..now..with meters..and a automated mixer (designed by no less than Digi)..is worth the price. It handles larger projects, and files, much better and has added integration with photoshop, illus, and after effects.

dcornutt
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds great dc but if all I am doing is capturing with Premiere then what advantage is there?