Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 01-05-2023, 03:35 PM

Default Carbon - Can't Edit IO Setup

I'm having an issue where I can't edit IO setup anymore.

Even after I've deleted all preferences and reset all my Carbon settings it says that I have conflicting paths and won't save any changes I make to IO. I've attached a screenshot where it talks about Headphone path HP3 conflicting with Outs - 15-16 but I can't change any of these things. When I go to Hardware and change the headphones from Monitor to HP I still get conflicts in IO setup even.

Does anyone have any insight or ideas as to what's going on?

Using Big Sur on an iMac with Pro Tools 2022.10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 5.13.14 PM.jpg (58.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-05-2023, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Carbon - Can't Edit IO Setup

This is a really unintuitive load of settings. I spent hours setting understanding it and setting it up and have now saved a template with the HP mixes in.

What I ended up with is a bunch of busses called PH1, PH2, PH3, PH4 and assigned the headphone (HP) outputs to those busses.

Anyway, sounds like you got yours in a mess and need to revert to default.

There's also a "Default" button at the bottom left of each tab under I/O. You need to press it for each thing (Input, Output, Bus, Insert, Mic Preamps, H/W Insert Delay).
Alternatively - you could just try trashing preferences? May I recommend Pete Gates app for doing it.
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340741
https://petegates.com/

Once you've fixed that, if you do want to output the same signal to multiple outputs, the Bus tab of I/O is the place to do it. You need to CTRL-click on multiple outputs in the "Mapping to Output" column. Each one you choose gets a tick by it. Absolutely not obvious at all.

Dominic
Old 01-05-2023, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendations Dominic. Unfortunately this whole thing just goes in circles. Every time I do something different to try to correct an error it gives me a new conflict. This is the latest after resetting all preferences and defaults. A session doesn't even need to be open, my IO settings remain uneditable.

Any more ideas?
Old 01-06-2023, 01:08 AM

You could try a device reset of the Carbon. From the manual:
Default Device Settings
If necessary, you can restore the default system settings (such as preamp gain, monitor gain, and so on).
To restore the default system settings for Pro Tools | Carbon:
1 Lower the volume on all output devices and mute your speakers.
2 Power off the unit.
3 Press and hold the Meter button while powering on the unit.
4 Hold the Meter button for 20 seconds while the device front panel is lights in the green start-up state.
5 After this, release the Meter button.
The device starts up with the default settings after the Meter button is released.

However I think the problem is with a preferences/config file in PT.

From a previous post (I think from an Avid rep.)
Another thing to try is to delete "Pro Tools_Carbon.pio" and "Last Used.pio" in the PT preference folder and re-launch Pro Tools. These are located in:
Macintosh HD/Users/<user name>/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools

You can quickly get there by clicking Finder > Go > Go to Folder...., then entering the following and clicking Go:
~/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/

Looking in this folder I can see there is also a Pro Tools_Carbon Expanded.pio, which you would have if you are using Carbon Central (rather than Audio Midi Setup) and you'll have to delete that file too.

Dominic
Old 01-06-2023, 10:35 AM

Deleting these "Pro Tools_Carbon.pio" and "Last Used.pio" along with the Carbon Central preference seems to have worked!!

Thank you Dominic!!

Now I'm thinking that something with Carbon Central caused this as I decided not to use it and went back to AVB.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:04 AM

Glad you got it fixed. The "pio" trick was wriiten by someone many months ago, well before Carbon Central existed. So I don't think you can necssarily blame that. However, it is possibly that you had Carbon Central configure the interface as 56x56 or something other than the default of 28x56. Audio Midi Setup [AMS] - which is what I think you meant by AVB - also has the ability to change this setting, but it's quite hard to find. But that may have been what did it, a mismatch there.

Dominic