Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 AM

Default ProTools HD 7.4 Hangs Whilst Loading Session

Hi

I have a session which I've been using for the last couple of weeks, but which has recently started to hang during the load process, specifically whilst PTHD is trying different ways of allocating DSP resources (ie. deactivating and reactivating TDM plugins during the load process).

The only way I have found to get the session to load, is to physically remove certain plugins from the system, load the session without them, then disable ALL the plugins, close ProTools, reload the plugins I removed, and then reload the session with plugins disabled and re-enable them one at a time. However, at the end of the session when I save, I'm invariably creating a session which ProTools will then not be able to load again when I next come to try.

The session does not max out my TDM DSP's - I have at least 5 DSP's not being used at all.

I am getting no error messages, just a hang. I have to forcibly quit the ProTools process, reboot the system and try again.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might try and troubleshoot this, or if there is any way of forcing a specific DSP loading allocation, which might at least enable the session to load without having to go through this rather time-consuming process every day.

Many thanks for any help

Jules

PS. System is a Digidesign certified Dell Precsion 690 workstation, PTHD 7.4cs5, all latest plugin builds, PT HD3 Accel, Windows Xp 32 with SP2, 5GB of RAM.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 AM

Default Re: ProTools HD 7.4 Hangs Whilst Loading Session

I have found a workaround for loading the session in question: if I 'allocate' the first few DSP's on card 1 (by cliking on them in Sytem Performance so they go red), then the session loads ok.

I'd be extremely grateful if somebody from Digidesign could let me know if this suggests hardware issues, or what else may cause this kind of issue.

Many thanks

Jules
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Avid

I'm sorry to say it, but this sounds like a bad dsp on that card. You should try running Digitest to see what it says, but most likely you'll need to get that card repaired.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 AM

Hi - many thanks for your response.

I ran Digitest just now and it reported Passes on all cards.

Perhaps there was just some corruption in that session (?). I've managed to get it finished now and am not seeing similar issues in other sessions (so far), so I'll move on and hope it was just a freak ocurrence.

Thanks again for your help.

Jules.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 AM

it´s no hardware-failure, it has something to do with a certain plugin.

my duende does it here, cause with fully loaded hd-cards with different plugs, i can load the project again and again without a problem.