Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 06:23 AM

Default Hybrid mixing/Dly compensation maxed out

I mix hybrid and I'm wondering what it would take to get more delay compensation power. Right now when I'm in my mixing template with all my routing and plugins, as soon as I have 2 or 3 hardware inserts on my session running, the Dly compensation light at the top of PT turns to red. Any idea as to how to increase the ability of delay compensation? My current set up is:

Apollo 8 and Apollo x4 daisy chained with thunderbolt

Mac Mini 3.2 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7
PT 2021.6
Old 08-03-2021, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Hybrid mixing/Dly compensation maxed out

This makes no sense to me. What exact hardware are you using on inserts? are you seeing this in the UA mixer window or the Pro Tools mixer?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-24-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpaulr123 View Post
I mix hybrid and I'm wondering what it would take to get more delay compensation power. Right now when I'm in my mixing template with all my routing and plugins, as soon as I have 2 or 3 hardware inserts on my session running, the Dly compensation light at the top of PT turns to red. Any idea as to how to increase the ability of delay compensation? My current set up is:

PT 2021.6
The red Dly icon indicates a feedback loop in your session. If you hover over the icon and have Preferences->Display->Basics->Tool Tips->Function enabled, it will show you where the loop is. This has nothing to do with the performance or "power" of your system.

Best,
Alex
Old 10-25-2023, 01:07 AM

It's also red when you go over 16k samples. Or at least it used to be red.

For hybrid and inserts the same rules apply as 'old' dsp, keep all your dsp plugins grouped. Each transfer from dsp (or hardware insert) to native will add a delay the length of your hardware buffer. This can add up real fast.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:19 AM

The red delay is about going over the delay comp limit.
A feedback loop will also trigger it but it is primarily for going over delay comp limit.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpaulr123 View Post

PT 2021.6
Two thoughts

1. Print your VSTs and make them inactive until you want to make more changes.
2. Limiters on the master buss are notorious for greatly increasing DC. Work without them engaged until the end of your mix.

And....
I run 4 external fx processors for reverbs and delay and learned to reduce the number of plugins I use as well as the items above as I move closer to the final mix. Finally, make plugins inactive or delete them if they are not adding to the track. Good Luck
Old 01-26-2024, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The red delay is about going over the delay comp limit.

A feedback loop will also trigger it but it is primarily for going over delay comp limit.
Hovering over the dly indicator with your pointer will reveal the nature of the problem (e.g. unresolvable ADC loop in bussing).
Old 01-26-2024, 02:47 AM

What do you mean by "mix hybrid" do you mean the Pro Tools hybrid engine? Or you mean an outboard summing bus?

You don't get "more delay compensation power" Pro Tools ADC limits are 16k samples at 44.1/48 kHz, 32k samples at 88.2/96 kHz, 64k samples at 176.4/192 kHz

You need to work out what is going on.

Start simple and understand stuff. What are the latencies Pro Tools reports on each track as you add plugins/inserts/change routing, is that what you expect?

There are multiple latency/ADC comp bugs in Pro Tools that have been described on DUC many times. One bug happens with inserts that follow a plugin and LLM and allow sends to persist in LLM enabled. You'll see unexpected latencies of few x 1024 samples for a H/W insert. But these bugs don't cause most user problems... that's more frequently just using plugins with huge latency, or bad routing etc.