Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 11:59 AM

Default Radeon RX580 video card

What the hell happened to prices for Radeon RX580 video cards? With my fed income tax refund due soon I figured I pop for a Metal compatible video card for my 2012 5,2 cheesegrater. Checked OWC and they are out of the RX580 which they had for a quite reasonable sub $400 range. Newegg is looking at $600+ and up into 4 figures with nothing that says any of them will work in a Mac.

Sources/suggestions? No eBay please.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Radeon RX580 video card

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What the hell happened to prices for Radeon RX580 video cards? With my fed income tax refund due soon I figured I pop for a Metal compatible video card for my 2012 5,2 cheesegrater. Checked OWC and they are out of the RX580 which they had for a quite reasonable sub $400 range. Newegg is looking at $600+ and up into 4 figures with nothing that says any of them will work in a Mac.

Sources/suggestions? No eBay please.
The demand for these cards has grown over time but I think they are no longer manufactured, the Sapphire models that is.
The only model I would trust for usage in a Mac Pro 5,1 is the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB GDDR5 RAM.

Three choices:

1) Get a Sapphire RX580 somewhere and have it flashed by MVC if you need the bootscreen.

2) Run it unflashed with OpenCore then you will have bootscreen support and you won’t need it to be flashed.

3) Run it as is, with no bootscreen support.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technerd View Post
The demand for these cards has grown over time but I think they are no longer manufactured, the Sapphire models that is.
The only model I would trust for usage in a Mac Pro 5,1 is the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB GDDR5 RAM.

Three choices:

1) Get a Sapphire RX580 somewhere and have it flashed by MVC if you need the bootscreen.

2) Run it unflashed with OpenCore then you will have bootscreen support and you won’t need it to be flashed.

3) Run it as is, with no bootscreen support.
Thanks. While I would like boot screen support it's not necessary for me. Besides I've seen the open core stuff and while I'm pretty computer savvy it scares me. Amazon is the only one that comes up in a web search (no eBay thank you) and it's going for $700 US (and you still need to get the cable separately).

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2021, 04:49 PM

The entire GPU market is turned in its head mining for cryptocurrencies. Prices for new and used cards are inflated all over the place and they can't produced fast enough to keep up with market demand. Scalpers are buying them and turning for a profit. Even the local Micro Center had 0 cards in stock and when they do have them they've limited the purchase to one every thirty days (per household) or something like that. It's a mess.
• Avid Dock,
Artist Series Mix & iPad 7th gen & EuCon 2022.9
• DADman/Eucon monitoring
• BSS (DAN + 100), QSC DCA 1644, JBL 7 Series
• MTRX Studio // 7.1 (7.1.4 pending)

www.quesound.com
Old 04-27-2021, 06:36 PM

Video cards of any kind, except for the most basic and low level performing cards have been unbotanium for months now. I built my daughter a new computer at the start of the year. We originally got a PNY RX580 card, but it turned out to be defective and had to send it back. Took over two more months to find a replacement card that was in stock any where and we had to downgrade to an RX570. But at least it works.

The shipping bottleneck at the Port of LA, along with the crypto miners buying everything in sight in bulk have made it near impossible for normal computer users to find anything worthwhile without forking over a whole arm and a leg.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-28-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Video cards of any kind, except for the most basic and low level performing cards have been unbotanium for months now. I built my daughter a new computer at the start of the year. We originally got a PNY RX580 card, but it turned out to be defective and had to send it back. Took over two more months to find a replacement card that was in stock any where and we had to downgrade to an RX570. But at least it works.

The shipping bottleneck at the Port of LA, along with the crypto miners buying everything in sight in bulk have made it near impossible for normal computer users to find anything worthwhile without forking over a whole arm and a leg.
Does the 570 have Metal support? Vital for me if I want to go past High Sierra.

QAPLA!
Old 04-28-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Does the 570 have Metal support? Vital for me if I want to go past High Sierra.
Yes. This Apple support doc lists several compatible models. Link

I have an MSI Radeon 560 4GB and it works great and does not require any power connection from the Mac as it is fully powered by the PCIe slot.

Also, for what it's worth, that 560 is the only Avid-approved graphics card for the Mac Pro 5,1's according to the compatibility documents:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

"Notes:
(*) MSI Radeon RX560 required when using macOS Mojave. Other graphics cards have been shown to cause errors in Pro Tools."
Old 04-28-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
Yes. This Apple support doc lists several compatible models. Link

I have an MSI Radeon 560 4GB and it works great and does not require any power connection from the Mac as it is fully powered by the PCIe slot.

Also, for what it's worth, that 560 is the only Avid-approved graphics card for the Mac Pro 5,1's according to the compatibility documents:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

"Notes:
(*) MSI Radeon RX560 required when using macOS Mojave. Other graphics cards have been shown to cause errors in Pro Tools."
Thanks for the rely & info.

QAPLA!