Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2002, 05:57 PM

Default Pitch Shift Question

I have a lot of BGV's tracks that I have to pitch up +2 Course. I will take the time to do one at a time but I want the best quality.
Which one is the best to buy-money not a problem.

Thanx
Old 04-27-2002, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Pitch Shift Question

I really like Pitch n' Time by Serato, it sounds great and is is fast as well. Can be used with the timestretch tool as the default if you wish as well, Highly recommended!
Simon L

Plan for the worst, Hope for the Best.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:33 PM

How do you set Serato to be your default time stretcher?
Old 04-28-2002, 02:20 AM

Quote:
How do you set Serato to be your default time stretcher?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it's in the "processing" tab of preferences (TDM only)

Do a search for "TC/E" in the reference guide (pdf)
Old 04-28-2002, 06:27 AM

Usually I love Pitch'n Time but it has never worked on vocals neither the timestretching nor the pitchshift. Actually it's real bad for those instances. Vox sounds phasey and hollow even with just a minor tweak. The best pitchshifter/timestretcher for vox is actually TimeBandit from Steinberg. I don't believe they are selling it any longer but it's an amazing program which I would highly recommend in this case. It also has a formant function (which Pitch'n Time doesn't have) so things will sound a little bit more natural.

TB is a standalone app. and only works in 16-bit..... Sounds crasy? Yes. But it's actually worth dither down to 16 and import to TB. It will sound so much better that it's worth it any day.

BTW, Pitch'n Time works much better than TB if it's a "whole mix" material that you apply it to.

-Robert
Old 04-28-2002, 09:21 AM

I agree with Robert. I just did 96% time compression to the feature film mix (for 25 fps TV use here in Europe). I tried Pitch'n'Time 2 demo and even with these quite minimal settings it made the dialog in the mix sound horrible (distant and phasey). I also tried Synchro Arts ToolBelt demo for the same purpose, and the dialog sounded much better and natural. OTOH, TB introduced some low frequency artifacts during some music scenes. The Digi TCE sounded much like TB in these settings, except that the sync was not good all the time with its medium settings. So I ended up in using ToolBelted track most of the time, but Pitch'n'Timed track when there was only music in the mix.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Pitch'n'Time can increase the peak level of already limited material quite a lot, which is not the case with TB or Digi TCE.

At the same time, I feel that Pitch'n'Time could be very good in some areas, for example in sound design.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:45 PM

Just a thought, I tried a demo of "Speed",
this is quite interesting and if you are only shifting minimal amounts it does amazing stuff,
good luck.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:51 AM

i use the stock digi pitch shifter for most of our (animated) character voices here, both spoken dialog and singing. it has no formant correction, however, which can be a problem. and if you're changing the pitch of sung vocals, it sounds best if you can manage to change the speed, too, but that's obviously not an option for you.

you may also try the waves ultrapitch single voice. it can be very artifact-y, but the formant correction is pretty good and if you take the time to tweak the settings you can do good things with it.

let us know what ends up working for you!

-a-
Old 04-29-2002, 10:56 AM

to Robert U

I used to perform voices pitchshift with TB too, but when i switched from G3 beige to G4 933, it seemed to be impossible to run/authorize Time Bandit. The french Steinberg tech support told me hat it was normal [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] and that i must wait for the new Cubase wit TB included in it. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

if you had success in authorizing TB on a new mac, please let me know how...

thanks
gugu
Old 04-30-2002, 12:45 AM

Wave Mechanics' Pure Pitch has formant correction.