Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Question Crossfading Electric bass & still getting CLICKS/POPS no matter what...

This is driving me crazy! I have overdubbed some bass parts & am doing the normal crossfade/smart tool or select, cmnd F, and I still am getting pops/clicks on some cross fades. I guess these are my questions...

1. what shape of cross fade is best when editing overdubs?
2. where is the best place to make the cross fade? (like.. the shape of the waveforms)
3. how big should the c.fade be in relation to the waveforms?

I think I'm starting to realize how important it is to choose your punch ins wisely.

onward & upward!
thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Crossfading Electric bass & still getting CLICKS/POPS no matter what...

This is just a case of practice, clicks are caused by two adjoining regions not meeting at the zero crossover point in the waveform, zoom in to sample level and you will see.

So the best place to make edits is at the zero crossing, if i'm honest you get the knack of where things need to cut in pretty quickly so the likelihood of you needing to zoom in very time is unlikely. If you edit well enough you can get away without the fade, you may even find the fade is the cause of the click.

Just remember that the point at which you punch-in isn't where the edit point has to be, you can drag the region start and end point as far as they will allow until you find a suitable edit point.

In answer to your questions, no hard and fast rules i'm afraid, the standard equal gain X-fade always works for me.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Crossfading Electric bass & still getting CLICKS/POPS no matter what...

Thanks oh mighty Dougfather-

I am beginning to see how good edits are a timesaver.

I have heard online that making a crossfade 1 wave form width is the size to use...
what do you think about that DF?

Do you use the select tool to pick your crossfade region? or do you use the smart tool? I know there's 20 different ways to do anything in pro tools.

Just trying to gain experience by others

peace
T

thanks for the info..