Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 AM

Default Re: My Axiom Template for Pro Tools 8

Big thanks to Gruddlebug for doing all the hard work here.

Just a report on my progress if it's useful to anyone. Don't take this as criticism or complaint - I'm a MIDI novice and may not have done everything right!

I've tried out the template via Enigma (agree with the consensus on its flakiness, by the way) on my Axiom 61. I've had some success, but one or two things don't work as they should.

The first 8 fader buttons will only mute the respective track. I can't get the 9th one to switch them to the other functions.

The rotary encoders don't seem to want to do any MIDI learning with the instrument plug-ins I've tried (only AIR ones so far).

Transport and faders work fine; haven't tried the other functions yet.

I'll come back with any progress reports. I'm also trying the template from the M-Audio site which uses the JL Cooper CS10 controller personality, but had no luck with that as Pro Tools won't acknowledge the CS10 in the MIDI Peripherals page. Suspect it was written for PT7.4 and PT 8 doesn't want to know.

Doug.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Hello Doug

I have no problems with the rotary encoders with Hybrid, Xpand for instance, haven't tried all the Air plugins.

If you are using 8.0.1, The 9th button no longer seems to switch functions it only seems to change the function of buttons 1-8 to solo if held in unison with them.

I have asked Digi about this but so far no reply.

Cheers

evs
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM

When I use preset 20, the drum pads are no longer pressure sensitive... You might wanna fix that, unless there is a reason for it.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 AM

Sorry about the late reply. Real Life got in the way (doncha hate that...!)

Okay Gruddlebug, I'll see if button 9 will swap to solo if held simultaneously. That would still be useful. DB33 and Xpand don't seem to want to learn the rotary encoders while I'm using the Pro Tools control template however.

As I said I'm a MIDI novice, and I still don't understand how a Pro Tools plug-in map can integrate with an Axiom preset. Does it over-ride the preset mapping? Let's say I have the PT control preset selected on the Axiom before I open a Pro Tools project on the computer. The project has, say, a DB33 inserted on an instrument channel and there's a plug-in map I've made for the rotary encoders stored with it. Should I now be able to use the transport controls and faders for PT and the rotaries for DB33? That's not been happening for me so far.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Doug.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 AM

Ooh - and another thing while I'm on: I'd like to have the fader buttons switch things on the DB33, e.g. push Button 1 once to turn scanner vibrato on, push it again to turn scanner off. No luck doing that so far... any tips?

Thanks for any help,

Doug.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 PM

FYI, i was able to get this profile to work on an Axiom 61 only after replacing this commencing section of the xml config file with text from a legitimate axiom 61 xml config file.

Here is the section I replaced (commences at very start of code):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>preset</key><dict>
<key>name</key><string>Axiom 49</string>
<key>created</key><string>9:18:1:4:2009</string>
<key>PID</key><integer>409</integer>
<key>VID</key><integer>1891</integer>
<key>Group ID</key><integer>17</integer>
<key>unique id</key><integer>2829</integer>
<key>read only</key><false/>
<key>ROM</key><false/>
<key>presets</key><array>
<dict>

I replaced it with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>preset</key><dict>
<key>name</key><string>Axiom 61 1</string>
<key>created</key><string>26:0:10:9:2009</string>
<key>PID</key><integer>410</integer>
<key>VID</key><integer>1891</integer>
<key>Group ID</key><integer>17</integer>
<key>unique id</key><integer>12093</integer>
<key>read only</key><false/>
<key>ROM</key><false/>
<key>presets</key><array>
<dict>
Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 AM

When I downloaded your file, it had different extensions than what Enigma wanted..

Axiom 49 Pro Tools 8.xml.xhtml , I used Safari... can you help?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Hello,

The way to download it is to double click the icon for the one you require on the top right of the page, this will select it. Then right click (ctrl click) the large version of the icon above comments on the top left (yes the one with no label) and select download linked file from the drop down menu. This will get you the xml file.

Why Microsoft made it so unintuitive only they know, it used to be straightforward.

Cheers

evs
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 AM

thank you. is this the new midi controller . I am considering buying it. any place to view a demo of what you describe?
new to midi...any tutorials, you recomand that can take me step by step?
I
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 AM

i'm thinking of getting either the axiom or axiom pro and and am new to midi but do want something i can grow into as opposed to buying something else again later on. will 49 or 61 keys suffice if i dont play piano but just want to make loops? thanks in advance