Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Problem with hearing the FX of panning in monitors

I have an MBox, ProTools LE 6.1, and Roland DM20 studio monitors. When I pan a track to the right, the track gets progressively weaker until it gets to 100% right, and then you can't hear it at all... through the monitors. In the headphones, it sounds just like it's supposed to. Does anyone know what the problem could be? My monitors have red/white RCA jacks, and the back of the MBox has the big plug (quarter inch?) and I have an adapter at the back of the MBox that goes from that big plug to RCA... would that have anything to do with it?

Thanks!

Shade
Old 03-14-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Problem with hearing the FX of panning in monitors

Check the polarity of your cables. It sounds like one of the sides might be out of phase. Try some new or different RCA to 1/4" adapters to see if that works.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Problem with hearing the FX of panning in moni

If you invert your monitor position from the original (from L1/R2 to L2/R1)... does the problem follow the panning setting or the monitor?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 AM

Still having the same problem... let me describe the way my wires go just in case I have something wrong.

My monitors have 4 wires to them (that I am using): red/white RCA on the right, a black that goes from monitor to monitor, and the power cords. I have the RCA's from the right monitor going to a single RCA to TRS adapter which is plugged into the TRS 1 jack on the back of the MBox.

Now here's something interesting I just noticed: when I pan a sound all the way to the right when the RCA to TRS adapter is in TRS 1, I can only hear it out of the headphones (and it is all the way to the right). When I plug it into the TRS 2 jack, the right channel will be audible in the monitors when panned all the way right but when I pan it all the way to the left, you can only hear it in the headphones like the first situation.

I'm pretty new to all of this, so it's possible that I've made a mistake somewhere in the wiring?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Just thought of something... am I supposed to have something plugged into BOTH TRS jacks for stereo effects to work properly?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:19 PM

Stereo is 2 channel....so yes!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:53 PM

I figured the single output would route it to each monitor... oh well...

So, how can I hook up these monitors to my MBox properly when they only have RCA cables?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:30 PM

From what I can tell by looking at pictures on the internet, the Right speaker has quarter inch line level inputs right next to the RCA inputs. Take 2 TRS cables from the back of the mbox to both of those inputs. Then connect the right speaker to the left like roland says you're supposed to. That should do it.

The TRS outs on the back of the mbox aren't stereo like a quarter inch headphone jack is. Instead, they're for using balanced (TRS) cables.