Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Default Re: I there any wiff of HD ever being supported by Win 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Why not get PT9 and re-check if the flex is in fact correctly connected. Also I would just run the core alone and take other cards out to rule out bad flex cable/connector issues.
PT9 HD upgrade is a $350 dollar investment I'm not ready to make if PT 8 works fine for me.

I tried Core alone, and also a different core card and still no luck.

I'm guessing maybe other successful builds of HD8+Win7 involve newer PCIe cards, as mine just don't want to work with Win 7.

I wish I could get the drivers for PT9 just to try and install them and see if it works.

(Stuck on XP) Hugo
Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 AM

I have PTHD 8 working fine on Windows 7, but it's the 32 bit Pro version.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 AM

What's it looking like in the Device Manager? Are all cards recognised and installed correctly (ie no yellow exclamation marks)? Just to make sure it's not an IRQ conflict. What graphics card are you using?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
What's it looking like in the Device Manager? Are all cards recognised and installed correctly (ie no yellow exclamation marks)? Just to make sure it's not an IRQ conflict. What graphics card are you using?
Under the Device Manager sometimes the Accel Cards show up fine, sometimes they have yellow exclamation marks. The Core cards are always yellow or red.
All the Cards (chips) are recognized, but depending on which version I install (8.03, 8.05 or 8.1.1) the ones that appear ok and the ones that have exclamation marks change. (And also randomly... same version reinstalled and the cards that are ok are different on each install)
That's why I believe it's a driver issue.
I'll have a different motherboard to test on monday, but I guess this might just not work.
My plan was to build 4 systems. They would all have identical system drives for O/S with Snow leopard and Windows 7, so our engineers could take their pick.
Windows XP has to be on a different drive and that is a big PITA for ease of drive cloning and booting (bios selection each time, etc...)

I'm using an Nvidia Quadro 1700 for Video on the test machine.
I'll try and change it for another video card just in case, but I really doubt it will make a difference, since the same exact configuration works perfectly on XP and SL.

Hugo
Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 AM

What you have just described is a known issue and I have spent hours and hours investigating it about a year ago at the time I switched from XP to Win7.

Windows 7 sets device IRQs fully automatically thus in certain configurations you may start noticing device conflicts even though your system was fine under XP. Not all is lost and this is what helped me:

1. Get rid of the Nvidia card, replace it with and ATI/AMD card (I've got the cheap Radeon HD4350 which works great!).
2. Install a fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit
3. Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU'RE SEEING YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!
4. Install latest AMD video drivers
5. Install latest Quicktime
6. Install Pro Tools HD software+drivers (v9.X or 8.X)
---- AT THIS POINT YOU SHOULD NOT BE SEEING ANY EXCLAMATION MARKS!
7. Install latest Pro Tools HD software update
8. Install latest Adobe Reader
9. Insert iLok. Wait to detect and install drivers.
This should do it!
Some users have cured IRQ conflicts by moving their cards around on the motherboard, so if you have any spare slots left, you could try that in case my step-by-step instructions don't help.

It worked for me, and I shall keep my fingers crossed it works for you too.

Good luck!

Vytis
Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Thank you for your help, I'll give it a try tomorrow when the new motherboards arrive and post my results.
(fingers crossed)
In the meantime I think I've managed to get SL and XP on the same drive, so this might be the temporary solution until I debug the windows 7 issue.
I guess virtual instruments are going to have to be Mac based for now.

Hugo
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Ok, solved the problem... kinda
It seems Windows 7 Ultimate has a very big problem with unsigned drivers, and even though service pack 1 allowed it to install PT HD8.03, as soon as I updated it to 8.1.1, it went nuts again.
The updater doesn't do whatever trick the original installer does to fool Windows 7 Ultimate into allowing it to install unsigned drivers.
Apparently this is a problem with Win7 Ultimate only, so I'll test on Win7 Pro 64 tomorrow.
In the meantime I found a temporary solution to running unsigned drivers on Ultimate, but I don't like it very much.
Good news however is that PTHD8.1.1 works!
I'll do some torture testing tomorrow after I install it on Win7 Pro 64.

Thanks to everyone that helped, and please Avid... sign your drivers!!!

Hugo
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM

Thumbs down Re: I there any wiff of HD ever being supported by Win 7?

Ok now half my plugins don't work...
I'm done with the test. Windows XP it is.
Maybe when I upgrade to PTHD 9 I'll switch to Win 7.

Cheers

Hugo
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM

We are running win7 64bit SP1 with latest version of PT9. For the most part, its phenomenal and miles above XP's stability. Yes, we do get the exclamation mark from time to time which usually requires turning off the HD interfaces, reboot, then turn back on. Annoying for sure but we will try taking out the installed nvidia nvs290 and put in an ATI 4650 card we own and see if that solves it. Will re-post and confirm Vytis' recommendation. Not going to do a total re-install for now cuz the thought of that makes us vomit!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodlc View Post
Ok now half my plugins don't work...
I'm done with the test. Windows XP it is.
Maybe when I upgrade to PTHD 9 I'll switch to Win 7.

Cheers

Hugo
sounds like an administrator acess issue.....google how to setup your own system administrator account...not sure about your versions of windows 7 but im using home premium and as soon as i got that going ive had a pretty stable system.
best regards
kev