Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Banned

Default Motu BPM = MPC Infinity.......

Firstly; here is a link to get you acquainted with this amazing software....

http://www.motu.com/products/software/BPM

In Short:

Paired with Akai's Mpd 32 makes this an MPC xxxx.........You simply can't put a number behind it. Hook up a midi keyboard controller and you have one hell of a workstation right out of the box. Unlimited sample memory (only limited by the size of your hard drive) I have a dedicated 500gb hard drive for BPM.

The infamous MPC Groove settings are here; all that's missing is Roger Linn's signature; couple that with Emu SP 1200 sound emulation (the first of it's kind) and you've got the ultimate Beat Machine workstation. This software feels like a mixture of the MPC, Sp 1200 (sampling drum machines) and the Roland R8 (Human Rhythm composer). If you worked with any of these machines you'll know what i'm talking about; if you haven't then consider yourselves very fortunate because these were the best drum machines ever made and BPM wrapped it all up into one great piece of software.

Motu BPM has a 24 bit 96khz 15 gigabyte sound library of the most raw, punchiest and crunchiest drums that sound like they were sampled straight off of vinyl mixed with cutting edge beat material that I have yet to hear with everything currently out there on the market. I should also mention the awesome samples of guitars/synths/keyboards etc.....
TO TOP IT OFF; ALL OF IT IS TWEAKABLE!!! You can murder (in a good way) any sound running through this software!

The effects section is quite impressive........

You can use it standalone or as a VSTI/Rtas/AU.

My setup is with the Akai Mpd 32 and the Korg Nanokey. So far it's brilliant.

I'm reaching for this software first lately. I love Protools 8, Transfuser and Reason but BPM has become the go to software for Ultimate Breaks and Beat production.

I'm curious about how everyone else is using it or how they integrated it into their workstations.......
Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

Default Re: Motu BPM = MPC Infinity.......

It would be nice to see support for Akai, Emu, Roland sample libraries (Program and sound files)
Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Dtheone,
the one thing that it cannot do, is have the signature sound of the MPC, which is what truely made it famous. The converters and the output amps are what you really want from an MPC, in fact they are so important that many producers (myself included) go to this guy

www.forat.com

to have their MPC's modified and older converters and out amps put into the newer machines. Plus he has custom parts for styling and even does custom paint. Check out the Microphone he made for snoop dogg.

Yes, BPM looks cool, but for me it's the sound of my mpc that matters most... though I would love to get me hands on the BPM sound library

Good advertisment post though
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 03-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

DR. Ford, point taken; BPM has loads of potential.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM

BPM could be good. But it's got a LOOONG way to go before it gets to MPC status. And MOTU tech support is NOT on top of their game AT ALL. I'm having problems with this software that suggests it was NOT ready to leave the lab, and MOTU doesn't want to hear about it...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

RaySoul; Amen, but BPM is definitley on track to be an mpc slayer
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheone View Post
RaySoul; don't give up. What gear are you using it with? It's not perfect but it's working the way I need it to for the time being. My issues were with note repeat and other minor things but it's all set up and working properly.
Yeah, DTheone. But, as I understand it, your issues are with your peripherals, not so much the software itself. I've got a metronome that I can't turn off without a small war, and I can only work with one time signature, and four-count bars. Stuff that NO rhythm based software should be asking anyone to accept. THEN, I'm being ignored by MOTU(it's really tantamount to being swindled). Software that costs almost $300 should not come with a list of 'f*ck-yous' you just have to put up with. I make records for a living. Don't have time for s*it like that.

In the meantime, just have to use Transfuser and Guru. They have their little issues too, but at least I can decide the length of my bars, and turn off the metronome when I'M good and damn ready...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

Hmmm......An MPC standalone feature wise; it's not. I'm sure with a few updates we'll get there....

I wonder what we can expect in the upcoming 1.01 update.....
Old 03-03-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
BPM could be good. But it's got a LOOONG way to go before it gets to MPC status. And MOTU tech support is NOT on top of their game AT ALL. I'm having problems with this software that suggests it was NOT ready to leave the lab, and MOTU doesn't want to hear about it...
The non support of odd measure and the fact that you cannot disable in one click the metronome are things that made you think it was not ready to leave the lab ?
Or I am missing some stuff ?

Thanks,
Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned

Otristan:

This is an interesting feature of the mpc 4000 (metronome features) hope this makes it into an update....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2jAgiXXFso

Here's something else re: time signatures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvjTKO0m6wo

This may seem like a crazy question:

How can I make a two bar sequence?

Each scene has 16 patterns; all 4 bars each; is there any way to make a 2 bar pattern or do you have to use second pattern in the scene?

Hope that makes sense.....