Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Video Satellite compato

Will Video Satellite work on an HD system? I want to put it on my Stem Recorder and run video and record stems to it..

It'll be on an HD1 in a G5 2.0 Thanks in advance for any and all help
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Video Satellite compato

The short answer is no, but there is no reason you cannot use the second HD rig as a regular satellite and run one of the usual Pro Tools video options on it, QuickTime window/Mojo/Canopus/Blackmagic. Do you really need a separate rig for stems?

There are two types of video satellite: Avid Video Satellite which is part of Media Composer, and Video Satellite LE which is a satellite Pro Tools LE rig used exclusively for video. (In other words, there is no "Video Satellite HD" option, because a regular HD satellite can already run video.) Audio playback from Video Satellite LE apparently has some sync problems when video is running, the audio may not be sample accurate, or so I've been told. Since I do not have an LE rig I cannot say how severe the problems are, or if they are still existing (Tech Support?).

This thread might be of interest: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=238144&highlight=video+satellite+le+record.
This thread also interesting: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...lite+le+output
Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 AM

I am running a HD1 on a Intel Mac Pro (PCI-E) as a stem recorder and using it as a Video Satellite with a Black Magic Decklink Extreme HD card for Picture playing out Quicktime of various codecs.
A G5 (PPC) is not a supported machine.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 PM

I want to run a second machine (G5) with an HD1 as my video deck as well with the Dialogue and Temp Music playing off of that and also as the stem recorder... If not Video Satellite LE then how would I get them in Sync? Just MTC and MMC? I don't have a Sync IO for the second machine.. would I have to have one?

Thanks so much for your help..
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
The short answer is no, but there is no reason you cannot use the second HD rig as a regular satellite and run one of the usual Pro Tools video options on it, QuickTime window/Mojo/Canopus/Blackmagic. Do you really need a separate rig for stems?

There are two types of video satellite: Avid Video Satellite which is part of Media Composer, and Video Satellite LE which is a satellite Pro Tools LE rig used exclusively for video. (In other words, there is no "Video Satellite HD" option, because a regular HD satellite can already run video.) Audio playback from Video Satellite LE apparently has some sync problems when video is running, the audio may not be sample accurate, or so I've been told. Since I do not have an LE rig I cannot say how severe the problems are, or if they are still existing (Tech Support?).

This thread might be of interest: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=238144&highlight=video+satellite+le+record.
This thread also interesting: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...lite+le+output
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 06-01-2010, 01:22 AM

If I understand you correctly, you will have two HD systems but only one with SyncIO. You need to purchase a Satellite Link option. The page on Avid's website doesn't mention cost or give much detail at all so check out system compatibility at the first link. Cost is $749 or whatever your dealer says. It is a really nice way to link rigs together, you'll be very happy with it. Much better than midi!

I think, but am not completely certain, that you need only one syncIO. I think it should be on the same rig as your video assuming you have video hardware. If no video hardware, then I think either system is okay. Audio from both will lock with "near sample accuracy".

Your G5 is underpowered for PT8, but should still run. You haven't mentioned which way you'll output video, but you may have better performance if video plays from your Intel rig. You'll need PT8.0.1 minimum on both rigs for the satellite feature to work right.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Satellite Link works really well. It locks up instantly and does not have issues if you loop short selections like Avid Video Satellite. If you don't want to purchase a second Sync I/O, you could clock your G5 system to one of Your A systems audio interfaces and or the WC out of the Sync I/O.

Buddy