Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-1998, 08:13 AM

Default ProTools 4.2

If I purchase the 4.2 upgrade do I get a year of free upgrades?

Thanks
Old 07-21-1998, 09:36 AM
Avid

Default Re: ProTools 4.2

Are you asking about a ProTools hardware system that you plan on buying? Or are you asking about a software only upgrade to 4.2 and support for that?
Old 07-21-1998, 01:20 PM
Avid

In answer to your first question, software upgrades receive 90 days of free tech support on that software. Maintenance updates are generally free, as are upgrades for products purchased within a recent time period before a new software release. The only program that gives free upgrades for a year is the Gold Pro Tech Passport, which includes complimentary compatible software upgrade and updates (when available during contract term)

As far as your second question, Pro Tools does import stereo files, converts them to dual mono files, which you can group and edit as one pair, and you can bounce to disk as a stereo file. But as far as working natively with stereo interleaved files without conversion, (which I think is your question) this has been requested by a number of users, and we hope to implement that in a future release. No ETA, though.

-BGP-
Old 07-22-1998, 12:12 AM

Just logged onto this BBS, so forgive me if this has already been addressed...

What else has to be upgraded when moving up to PT 4.2 from 4.1.1? Will all my old plug-ins still work? What else ISN'T going to work? We lost Sound Designer with the last "upgrade!" It's getting pretty complicated to upgrade now that 3rd parties are involved. Thanks.
Old 07-22-1998, 12:28 AM

Sorry!

Just the SoftWare.

While I have you here Do you think in the next year ProTools will Support STEREO Files?

Thanks
Old 07-23-1998, 12:03 AM
Avid

All of your Digi Plugins are automatically updated from the 4.2 CD. No new keys are required. As far as third party plugs are concerned, I'm not aware of any incompatibilities with 4.2, but you should check with the manufacturer of those plugins to be sure.
The biggest thing you will need to upgrade is your Mac OS, to 8.0 or 8.1 (recommended)
-BGP-
Old 07-23-1998, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info, ProdInfo. However, since many of the third party plug-ins are sold through Digi, you guys should probably know if there are any compatability problems.

RCM
Old 07-24-1998, 06:08 PM
Avid

By Digi Plugins I actually meant all that are distributed by Digi as well, but you are correct, that was not stated. If any incompatibility issues with any plugins that are not distributed by Digi come to my attention, I will be sure to let you know.
-BGP-