Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Default combine two mono files into one stereo file [solved]

I see that Pro Tools can strip a stereo file into two mono files. But what about the other way around? I would like to take two mono files and have them join to a stereo file (without bouncing to disk, processing anything, etc.)

For the time being I have been using Audacity to do this sort of thing, then opening the converted stereo file back in Pro Tools.

Should I make a feature request? Any suggestions? Thanks,
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: combine two mono files into one stereo file

Select the two tracks in protools sample bin or select the 2 regions in your arrange window, go to the regions pulldown menu at the top of the sample list, select "export regions as files", select "Stereo" and bitrate then direct where you want the file i.e desktop.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Okay yeah I know about that. That still has to process over time to complete. I assume then there is no quick way to just join two mono files together to stereo, inside a session. Hmmm...
Old 05-24-2007, 11:54 PM

Create a new stereo track, select all the regions on your two mono tracks (in order, with the L above the R), drag or copy them to your new stereo track.

If there's an automatic function for this, I don't know it. But that would be a nice feature. Could get tricky though if the tracks have different inserts, sends, i/o, etc.

Cheers
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 AM

re-name the first mono track HELLO.l and the 2nd mono track HELLO.r
hey presto...
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Create a new stereo track, select all the regions on your two mono tracks (in order, with the L above the R), drag or copy them to your new stereo track.

If there's an automatic function for this, I don't know it. But that would be a nice feature. Could get tricky though if the tracks have different inserts, sends, i/o, etc.

Cheers
Ah! Great this works. This method wasn't working with the mono tracks I had before (maybe b/c of different inserts and such?), but using just bare mono audio tracks works. Thanks!