Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 04:56 PM

Default USB / ilok not working

Hey All,

My Brother helps me install my OS and recently we installed XP Pro(SP1). I upgraded from 5.3.1 to 6.4cs9. I haven't been able to use my USB for anything such as keyboard, mouse, and my ilok to authorize my plugins. I also got an Oxygen8 Midi Controller that I am trying to hook-up.

The weird thing is when I plug in my ilok the light inside lights up very briefly and then goes out. But the computer does not recognize that the ilok is plugged in as it doesn't show in the Device Manager.

I tried to install drivers for the Oxygen8 but to complete the driver registration the computer has to recognize when I plug in the controller, which it doesn't.

Any thoughts on why my usb is acting like this?
Any tips on troubleshooting the problem?

I know that this could be a problem totally unrelated to PT but there are some technical savvy folks here that hopefully can push me in the right direction.

Thanks,
blizzard

I am running:
KT3 Ultra 1.25Ghz =(
XP Pro SP1
512 MB RAM
Digi 001 Factory Bundle

Macbook Pro Retina / 2.8GHZ / 512GB SSD / PT 2023.9
Old 12-28-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: USB / ilok not working

Do you have any sevices disabled, that could disable the "add hardware wizard" and it would not come up? I'm pretty sure windows has a ilok driver in it that it can use with the add hardware wizard.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:15 PM

I guess it's possible that something is disabled. Nothing shows under the Device Manager as disabled though. I haven't made any changes to running/start-up processes.

blizzard

Old 12-28-2004, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Hey All,

My Brother helps me install my OS and recently we installed XP Pro(SP1). I upgraded from 5.3.1 to 6.4cs9. I haven't been able to use my USB for anything such as keyboard, mouse, and my ilok to authorize my plugins. I also got an Oxygen8 Midi Controller that I am trying to hook-up.

The weird thing is when I plug in my ilok the light inside lights up very briefly and then goes out. But the computer does not recognize that the ilok is plugged in as it doesn't show in the Device Manager.

I tried to install drivers for the Oxygen8 but to complete the driver registration the computer has to recognize when I plug in the controller, which it doesn't.

Any thoughts on why my usb is acting like this?
Any tips on troubleshooting the problem?

I know that this could be a problem totally unrelated to PT but there are some technical savvy folks here that hopefully can push me in the right direction.

go into the bios(to do this,repetedly press delete while turning the computer on)and enable the usb ports.

once you have done that go into device manager and enable the usb ports.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:13 PM

blizzard ,
Have you tried another USB port ? You must have at least six of them.
Also, can you see the controllers in device manager ?
Don't forget, some ports ( usually the front ones ) have to be hooked up to the mother board, with the cable that came with the mobo and/or case.

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-28-2004, 08:48 PM

maskedman72,

I entered BIOS and my USB was listed as follows:

USB Controller - All USB Ports
USB Legacy Support - Disabled
Port 64/60 Emulation - Disabled

The USB is enabled in the Device Manager.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:54 PM

lemix,
I have tried other USB ports and none seem to work. When I reboot both the ilok and the oxygen8 are listed as "unknown device" in Device Manager. I am currently using the two front ports which are hooked up to the mobo.

When I rebooted with the oxygen8 connected, a popup from the toolbar said "new hardware found" but no hardware wizard came up. When I double clicked on the icon, it told me that my hardware is installed and ready to use. Under "driver" in Device Manager it shows that there are no drivers installed. The ilok also shows as having no drivers installed, yet no wizard pops up to install one upon bootup!

Old 12-29-2004, 10:15 AM

I wonder if maybe something is physically wrong with the usb on the motherboard. Could the usb stop working due to a power issue, wiring/soldering, or a faulty cable? If the problem isn't physical and is a configuration issue, anyone know of a diagnostic tool that might give some insight?
I have a shiny new piece of gear in front of me and I can't use it!

It hurts.....
It really really hurts......

blizzard

Old 12-29-2004, 10:48 AM

Strange, indeed...
Do you have a mouse or keyboard that are USB to plug in and test ? Your OS should have enbedded drivers for those.
Go to the main Digi page and look for the iLok driver link. Install, then restart your computer with it attached.
Look in the Oxygen8's manual, just how to exactly implement the driver.

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-29-2004, 04:44 PM

Now this is even stranger........

I had the oxygen8 hooked up by usb to one of the 2 front usb ports. The other being the ilok. I also had the oxygen8 being powered by an adapter. You can choose the power supply on the back and I had it set to DC/9V. I decided to see if the oxygen8 could be powered by the usb alone so I switched the power supply to USB.
I get power.
Then windows send a message saying

" One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it."

I have two "Unknown Device" listed in device manager so I don't know which one windows is refering to.
I unplug the oxygen8 and plug it back in. Windows sends the message again.
I then try unplugging the ilok and plugging it back in.

I get power on the ilok. The light inside comes on.

Then a few seconds later windows sends the same message and the light turns off on the ilok. I can't seem to recreate this problem now that I try it again.

I downloaded the updated ilok drivers from here and installed. Didn't help the recognition of the ilok.

I don't have any other usb devices (mouse/keyboard) here right now but I will get one to test it out.

I have now tried all the usb ports and I can still power the oxygen8 but the ilok doesn't light up and windows does not send the message as before!!!

I am utterly confused.

blizzard