Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Re: looking for a digital audio desk to run with Pro Tools 2018.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Not true. While there are two established FX busses, you can also turn the last few stereo aux busses into FX busses by inserting an effect on it. I've got a TF3 and regularly have two different reverbs, a slap delay, and a tap delay each on its own buss.
Yup that is right and I think I started to allude in the last part of my post. But do have to correct you. it is true that the TF5 had only 2 "dedicated" FX engines where others in the same product line and price range have 4 ie: QU32 and StudioLive series 3, before you start having to use available AUX sends. And that was the point I was trying to make.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 10-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Yup that is right and I think I started to allude in the last part of my post. But do have to correct you. it is true that the TF5 had only 2 "dedicated" FX engines where others in the same product line and price range have 4 ie: QU32 and StudioLive series 3, before you start having to use available AUX sends. And that was the point I was trying to make.

There are more than 2 FX engines. You just convert the aux send bus to an effect send, return it to the main mix and insert an effect internally. You don't need a rack processor to get more FX.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-11-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
There are more than 2 FX engines. You just convert the aux send bus to an effect send, return it to the main mix and insert an effect internally. You don't need a rack processor to get more FX.
Ok I see what your getting at, and does this allow you to insert any of the onboard FX not already used in FX1 and FX2.... for instance FX1 Delay, FX2 Reverb, Create FX3 <insert from onboard FX of your choice here> there are 6 stereo aux sends so there would be the potential to add 6 FX engine per say? not that I think I would need to do that but technically speaking I could. Leaving the 8 mono aux's for monitors or even mono FX sends.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Ok I see what your getting at, and does this allow you to insert any of the onboard FX not already used in FX1 and FX2.... for instance FX1 Delay, FX2 Reverb, Create FX3 <insert from onboard FX of your choice here> there are 6 stereo aux sends so there would be the potential to add 6 FX engine per say? not that I think I would need to do that but technically speaking I could. Leaving the 8 mono aux's for monitors or even mono FX sends.
I checked and yes, you can insert an effect on all 6 of the stereo aux busses giving a total of 8 independent FX busses and processors. You can have 8 plate reverbs all with different settings if you want. Or you can have any other combination of effects that you want. Each effect insert has the exact same list of FX to choose from.

My only real gripe with the TF series is the way the FX mute operates. First, there should be an option with each effect processor that determines whether or not it follows the FX mute. Second, I wish the FX mute worked on the send to the FX processor instead of on the return.

Other than that we could do with a few more effects like a suboctave synth, exciter, de-esser, and some rat-like distortion.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Sorry it’s taken a day or so to reply...... coffee got spilt over my MBP and now I have to take it into the Apple shop. It’s still running but the Touch Bar seems to have shorted... so advised not to use it until they see it. Looks like that Apple Care thingy was a good investment.

Quote:
I checked and yes, you can insert an effect on all 6 of the stereo aux busses giving a total of 8 independent FX busses and processors. You can have 8 plate reverbs all with different settings if you want. Or you can have any other combination of effects that you want. Each effect insert has the exact same list of FX to choose from.
I’m liking more this console with every breaking day. I’ll be having play with this idea today. Thanks for sharing this as I didn’t know you could access the onboard effects in this way.

Quote:
My only real gripe with the TF series is the way the FX mute operates. First, there should be an option with each effect processor that determines whether or not it follows the FX mute. Second, I wish the FX mute worked on the send to the FX processor instead of on the return.
Hmmmm actually I was thinking you could, but then again I have read so many freak’n manuals over the last several weeks including the complete Pro Tools set that I’m struggling to remember where that idea may have come from....

Quote:
Other than that we could do with a few more effects like a suboctave synth, exciter, de-esser, and some rat-like distortion.
They are continually doing RD on the TF series, so here’s hoping more features and effects will be added. I’m not sure if there is a place they take requests for issues like you have raised regarding FX mute, seems to me would be an easy software fix.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:40 PM

Hey Top Jimmy,

I know you don't use TF3 for or with PT.... But just a quick Q regarding your TF3.... and its 34/34 I/O capability.

When I load PT using the TF5 as an interface PT sees all 34 I/O's you can active or deactivate all 34 I/O's create buses with them including ch 33 and 34. Currently I'm using ch 31 and 32 on the TF as my main L/R output from PT via a created "output1" bus in PT. create say another bus "output2" using 33 and 34 to use as main outs and send via the ST2/33-34 input on the TF.

Are you able to send signal from your host back down channel 33 and 34?

I'm guessing this is more to do with PT limiting to 32 channels, Does PT just take the first 32 and lop off anything there after or are you able to select the 32 from an array of up to 64 (being the max with added stage box(es) if I so choose... Ultimately I have to say since my version of PT MAYBE!!! only about 1/4 of the price of the HD ver you'd think or perhaps hope Avid could at least give you access to 1/4 of the I/O of HD's 256...... and up the limit from 32 to 64, although it is prolly smallish annoyance, it would be nice to be able to move the the main out to ST2/33-34 and have a clear fader board. I have actually tried to deactivate a couple of channels between 1-32 (in PT) to see if 33 or 34 become available, but nope. everything looks good in PT running a 33-34 bus the master fader shows signal in its meters but no input signal appears at ST2/33-34 input on the TF.

funny how sometimes you start writing a question only to discover the answer while writing it. Or may be there is another way of doing this that would allow me to send a main stereo output from PT back to the TF and still have 32 inputs available.

So come on Avid don't you think 32 is a lil whimpy in these days and times like raising the 32 to 64 is going to smash your HD market in anyway... I think these sorts of changes are more likely to bring more users onboard.

Last edited by xrekcor; 12-22-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:32 PM

IIRC the 32 limit is for audio inputs and simultaneous track recording. The playback limit is 32 audio tracks at 192, but i dont think that's what you were talking about. So my first question would be does PT recognize 33/34 in your output page of I/O? If it does i dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to use it as your main out. If it doesnt show up you may be out of luck or possibly some one will know a way to get it to show up.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
IIRC the 32 limit is for audio inputs and simultaneous track recording. The playback limit is 32 audio tracks at 192, but i dont think that's what you were talking about.
oh yeah forgot about that bit..... a lil bit sorry Avid...and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
my first question would be does PT recognize 33/34 in your output page of I/O? If it does i dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to use it as your main out. If it doesnt show up you may be out of luck or possibly some one will know a way to get it to show up.
Yup it does on all the I/O pages.... Input, Output, Bus, Insert, Mic Preamps and H/W Insert Delay. PT loads these up itself from 1 to 34 and or depending on setting 17 stereo channels. PT allows you to do anything with them as you can do with channels 1 - 32 just don't seem to get any signal back to the TF5 via 33 and/or 34. If you create a master fader using 33 and 34 for your stereo outs PT doesn't have a problem or prompt you for anything the master fader meters tell you they are receiving signal.... but look over to the TF5 and 33, 34 via the ST2 input and the cupboard is bare
Old 12-22-2018, 06:32 PM

in the end its not a big prob just a lil annoying
Old 06-07-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
yup doesn't really tell you much there, but going through the online vids you'll find out how, its pretty simple..... no driver needed for Mac.... basically from what I can tell connect TF5 to Mac via USB>turn both on>select TF5 in PT playback engine>on TF5 setup outputs to USB>in PT setup Hui controller in Peripherals dialog to sync the automated faders among other things.... anyways something like that and your away... still in the middle of sussing it.

im leaning more and more to this unit... a lot of handy stuff there that touch and turn feature actually looks pretty cool... touch an element on the touch screen gain, pan, fx elements or what ever and adjust with one knob... focus changes to whatever element you touch..... plus the standard touch screen gestures..

nice amount of AUX sends too....

Were you able to see TF5 as a HUI controller in Pro Tools, or are you assuming it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk