How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2022, 07:51 AM

Default PT Movie File Location

Hi all,

If I'm copying PT settings between two different Macs which both have external ssd drives with identical copies of a movie file, what PT setting/ pref do I need to copy over from one Mac so that the other one will automatically locate the movie file when I open a session?

Thanks,

M
Old 05-13-2022, 08:22 AM

Default Re: PT Movie File Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi sordino View Post
Hi all,

If I'm copying PT settings between two different Macs which both have external ssd drives with identical copies of a movie file, what PT setting/ pref do I need to copy over from one Mac so that the other one will automatically locate the movie file when I open a session?

Thanks,

M
Create the Video Files folder within the session folder and Pro Tools will automatically find the video on either system as long as the video is in that folder.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi sordino View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,

M
The external drive names need to be the same. It links by hard drive volume name. If they aren't the same, then it won't find it.
There's no setting/pref to copy.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:53 AM

Thanks BScout & its2loud for the replies. I'm getting so many recuts of this particular project that I wanted the updated movie files on separate ssd drives from the pt session folders on each mac. But from what you guys are saying the external ssd drives of both macs (one mac is a backup system) will need to be the same name if I want the secondary mac to locate the movie file automatically.

Appreciate the help,

M
Old 05-14-2022, 10:28 AM

When you open the session, PT will try to locate and relink the video file, which can be a manual or automatic process. I would go manual and locate the file. We do this often. If that's not feasible in your situation, I'd go with placing the file in your session folder in a Video Files folder.

Regarding placing video files on separate drives, this was once an important step but with modern computers and CODECs and smaller video files, it's acceptable to have video on the same drive as the audio. I believe all my post engineers operate that way (I still put vids on separate drives because I can't let go of the habit).
Old 05-16-2022, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the reply Eric. I normally keep movie files in the video folder but in this particular case I'm keeping them on an external ssd drive. Not for any reason other than to maintain a good amount of space on my system drive. I'm lazy so just wanted my duplicate backup mac system to find the movie files without having to search. Anyway, no big deal.

Cheers,

M